TikTok Japan Electronic Content Music Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities, Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
TikTok Content Bucket Definitions
- Phonk Mix: Videos feature a mix of various phonk songs and provide the viewer with the track details.
- TikTok Medley: Videos feature a mix of popular TikTok songs into a medley and provide the viewer with the track details.
- Song List: Videos feature a series of related songs and list the track details on screen accordingly.
- Remix Breakdown: Artists walk through the production of their remixes.
- Artist Medley: Videos feature a mix of songs by one specific artist into a medley and provide the viewer with the track details.
- Era Inspired Mixes: Mixes based on a particular time frame or era and provide the viewer with the track details.
- Live Performance Clip: Various footage taken from a live festival or performance.
- Sample Challenge: Artists sample various sounds to create a track.
- DJ Commentary: Creators discuss news/updates and provide commentary on Japanese electronic music.
- EDM Medley: Videos feature a mix of popular EDM songs into a medley and provide the viewer with the track details.
- DJ Tips & Tricks: DJs share the best tips and tricks for mixing and scratching.
- Top Remixes: Videos feature clips from the top EDM remixes performed live.
- Festival Audience Video: Lo-fi videos captured by fans in the audience at festival or during live performance.
Phonk Mix is an extreme performing content opportunity, averaging 3X the views & engagement rate on TikTok.
Excellent performing content opportunities for the Japanese electronic music audience on TikTok include:
Good performing content for the Japanese electronic music audience on TikTok include:
Substandard performing content for the Japanese electronic music audience on TikTok include:
Low performing content for the Japanese electronic music audience on TikTok include:
Extreme Performing Segment:
"Welcome to Phonk World" is a video series by TikTok creator AGU. Each video features a mix of phonk songs and includes the track's cover, name and artists.
Tactics to Implement:
- Repeatable Formats: AGU’s “Welcome to Phonk World" video series utilize a consistent format, with only the colour of the font shadow changing between videos. Each mix begins with a memorable audio sample such as “uwu” and then features various songs and their respective details on the screen. In the background, the viewer can see AGU mixing the tracks in a dark room which compliments the dark sounds of phonk.
- Drift Phonk is a new subgenre of phonk characterized by the use of high bass and distorted sounds. It has come to popularity on TikTok in the past two years with videos featuring lo-fi clips of drifting and racing cars*. Pair slow-mo motor sport footage with music by up and coming phonk artists.
1. TikTok Medley
Videos feature a mix of TikTok songs and provide the viewers with the featured track details. Top videos were shared by AGU as part of their “TikTok trending song medley” series, which has 42 parts as of September 2022.
Tactics to Implement:
- “For You” Hashtags: The 5% of the videos in the data set which used the hashtag #おすすめにのりたい (#Iwanttorecommend) generated 438K views and engagements on average while the other 95% of videos which didn’t use the hashtag generated an average of 57K views and engagements.
- TikTok Medley: TikTok medley videos are extremely popular in Japan, with the hashtag #tiktokメドレー averaging 26M views per month (with a 100% concentrated in Japan) since February 2022.
- TikTok has become a go-to resource for finding new artists — with 75% of TikTok users* saying that they use the platform to discover new artists. Create medley videos featuring new artists and upcoming tracks to promote their music.
*Users based in the US
2. Song List
Tactics to Implement:
- Subcategories: Popular “song list” videos feature trending TikTok songs by a specific artist. Lists can entail different percentages, levels or ranks showcasing different levels of intensity or fandom.
- Respond to Comments: As shown in the video to the right, DJ KAZUKICHI uses comments from previous videos to inspire new content. He shares the new video as a video reply so that viewers can see the original comment.
- Yarirafii: The video below features a やりらふぃー (Yarirafii) playlist. The slang term comes from the viral song "CHERNOBYL 2017", in which the chorus lyrics sound like やりらふぃー (yarirafii). The term is now widely used to refer to people who like to party or dance to upbeat music.
- Share different types of “Song List” videos and encourage people to engage by asking them to share their score/level in the comments.
3. Remix Breakdown
Tactics to Implement:
- Hashtags: Of the data set, videos with 6 to 9 hashtags generated the greatest number of views and engagements on average, with 8 being the most effective.
- Video Length: Videos 50-60 seconds generated the highest views and engagement on average while making up 40% of the videos in the whole data set. Additionally, Remix Breakdown videos that were 50-60 seconds averaged 1.8X more views and engagements than any other duration.
- Share video content which walks the viewer through the production process of creating a remix and then play the new track.
These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
Content: Viral video features a mini mix medley of K-Pop boy band, BTS.
Content: TikTok creator, DJ SHIGE provides commentary on the EDM group, Repezen Foxx.
DJ Tips & Tricks
Length: 0:59 & 1:00
Content: The video below is DJ Natsumi’s part one of her two part “DJ Mix Course” series. The second video shown below features DJ SHIGE discussing the top three reasons why DJs shouldn’t use Windows.
Content: Video featuring The Chainsmokers performing at Tomorrowland Japan.
Length: 0:45, 0:46 & 2:12
Content: In the two videos above, DJ Jessie mixes a “Club Popular Songs Medley” featuring Japanese, Spanish, and English songs.
Length: 0:20 & 0:08
Content: Giboon_dj_fm shared clips from the Top 100 “Western music EDM” Remixes. The two outlier videos above feature female DJs.
Length: 0:55 & 0:34
Content: Kawachi features a mix of tracks by NoCopyrightSounds and shares the song names on a list to the left of the screen.
Length: 0:59 & 0:59
Content: AGU shares a mix of TikTok songs including a “bounce series” one. AGU uses a question in the first sentence of video’s caption to generate engagement.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →