How Lacoste’s TikTok Following Grew by +8467% in 1 Year
Applying Trends & Tactics
Competitor Trends & Tactics:
One viral video with over 7.8M views helped Lacoste gain 113K followers in November 2022.
Make it look organic. This video looks and feels like an organic post on TikTok and copies filming styles from viral trends.
93% of Lacoste’s TikTok videos are under 30 seconds long and have many different shots within each video.
Keep it short and sweet. Make videos that contain a large variety of video clips within a short time frame.
Lacoste collaborated with 3 brands, influencers, and artists per month to create unique organic posts and products.
Work with creators for UGC & brands for unique collabs to help generate creative content and designs.
Lacoste encourages community by featuring accounts that tag them in unique and original content that utilizes their brand.
Entice your audience to create organic content for your brand by featuring UGC that come from tagged posts.
Lacoste films behind-the-scenes content from photoshoots and events to repurpose these experiences into digital assets.
Film behind-the-scenes content to effectively utilize and repurpose your brand’s marketing material.
Lacoste spent $559K from April 2022 to March 2023 on TikTok. 96% of the ad spend went towards video ads under 10 seconds.
Optimize your ad creatives for TikTok by making ads quick enough to tell an entire story within 10 seconds or less.
Lacoste’s top ad spend was from this ad that featured actor KJ Apa at 143K and garnered 14M impressions.
Include popular celebrities in the ad and ensure there is movement & music within each frame of the video.
Purpose of This Research
To identify the content and marketing strategy that contributed to the TikTok growth of Lacoste:
- Assess key growth periods
- Identify factors behind successful growth
- Highlight applicable tactics and content opportunities
Why Examine Lacoste For TikTok Growth Insights?
- Overall Growth. Lacoste has grown its TikTok following by +8467% from April 2022 to April 2023; that’s +490K new followers.
- Active Followers. Lacoste’s videos see an average of 248K views and an average of 18K engagements.
- Mixed Collaborations. Lacoste diversifies its media content by collaborating with brands, influencers, and artists.
- Organic & Paid. While their growth tactics are predominantly organic, they have also incorporated paid growth tactics.
From April 2022 to April 2023, Lacoste has gained 490K TikTok followers, which is a +8467% increase YoY.
Monthly Gained Followers
April 2022 - March 2023
Lacoste saw the largest MoM follower growth spike in November 2022, gaining +113K followers.
November 2022 had one viral video that amassed 7.8M views and 656K engagements.
November 2022 Top Post
This post saw a total of 7.8M views and 656K engagements.
- Make it look organic. This video looks and feels like an organic post on TikTok due to its casual filming quality and style.
- Copy viral trends. This video combines filming templates from these two viral TikTok trends, “what are you wearing” and “what are you listening to”. Lacoste adds a humorous twist on it by the cameraman saying “you dropped your keys”.
- Utilize subtitles. The video utilizes subtitles to help viewers easily understand the speaker in the video. This is especially helpful for the non-native English speakers who have difficulties understanding accents.
Views: 7.8M | Engagements: 656K
93% of Lacoste’s posts were 0-29 seconds long (108), followed by 30-59 seconds (6).
Top TikTok Content Themes for Lacoste
*For videos in this content category. View + Engagement data collected via direct social media platform API. *Viral content buckets are omitted from the Avg. V+E calculation.
Top Content Themes
Top videos use a mixture of creator and brand collaborations.
- Lacoste collaborates with other creators to build content that features their products but may not be on brand for them to produce themselves. In this post with artist HILLAY, they showcase a time lapse of a Lacoste tufted rug being made.
- Lacoste utilized repurposed content by bringing physical assets to digital through sharing content created for a billboard ad. Other Casual Creativity content includes the usage of video transitions to create engaging videos and video dumps.
- Lacoste announces collaborations with brands like A.P.C. or Goop through videos that showcase the clothing while keeping it entertaining.
Videos feature behind-the-scenes content on campaign shoots & events.
- Lacoste shows viewers behind-the-scenes content to show how a video was filmed or how editorial photoshoots are captured.
- Lacoste utilizes their ambassadors & models during a brand event to create a video that showcases the diversity of their team and recaps their event.
Behind the Scenes
- Athlete ambassadors such as tennis athlete, Stefan Bojic, was featured in this video that showed both the BTS content and the edited version.
Videos with Highest Views
Organic-looking content leads the top-performing video content.
On the Streets
- Followers enjoy content filmed on the streets. Videos in this category feature strangers interacting with the brand in a fun way (like this “draw a crocodile” challenge).
Sneaker Unboxing Video
- Lacoste does a good job of replicating viral trends to fit their brand. This video follows the unboxing video trend for their new sneaker collection.
- Followers love seeing content that showcases a transformation using creativity and ingenuity, such as this upcycling video.
Tactics That Work
Collaborative content leads the top-performing video content.
- Lacoste collaborates with brands, athletes, and artists to expand it’s reach and build community. These collaborations help the brand expand into audiences that don’t follow their account.
- Build community with the audience and encourage creators to film UGC content by actively sharing the videos that the brand is tagged in.
- Partner with other brands or influencers to create limited edition products that are inclusive and unique.
From April 2022 to March 2023, Lacoste spent $559K on TikTok ads in the United States.
May 2022 and October 2023 are the months with the largest ad spend.
May 2022 saw one sponsored ad at $194K invested, seeing 19.4M impressions.
The ad features 2 actors of different ages dressed in matching Lacoste outfits running into each other.
October 2022 saw four ads at $165K invested, garnering 15.8M impressions.
This ad shows KJ Apa sprinting out of an apartment in his boxers & this ad shows Lacoste’s LA tennis club.
November 2022, which experienced +365% MoM follower growth, saw an ad spend of $21.5K on one ad.
The ad features an animated Lacoste logo jumping out of the clothing from model to model.
Top Ad Creatives
Top ads all tell a story within the 6 seconds of the video ad.
- Capture attention with movement. The top ads all feature models moving within each frame of the video. In combination with upbeat music, the ads easily capture the attention of the audience.
- Make it short and quick. The pace of all the top video ads are quick & short enough to tell an entire story within 6 seconds. This pace is optimized for the TikTok platform, where audiences usually rapidly scroll through the feed.
- Feature popular actors. This ad by Lacoste features KJ Apa.
Lacoste put 96% of the budget toward ads that were 0-10 seconds.
Digital Advertising Data Source Caveat | TikTok ad spend only available for the United States
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →