Using Black Friday Email Campaigns to Increase Website Traffic +78% MoM
Stance, a casual and performance sock company, sent seven emails from November 8 to December 2, 2020 related to Black Friday and Cyber Monday. In addition, 14 emails were sent out during that period to promote new collaboration drops and products separate from the sale.
Email Campaign Tactics:
- Subtly introduce the holiday season to subscribers. Stance started the Black Friday campaign by launching a gift guide at the beginning of November 2020 to help encourage readers to start thinking about buying for the holidays.
- Tease & Reward. Ecommerce has made online shopping more competitive and saturated. Stance battles that by offering early short releases of discounts such as Singles Day (a one day 11% off sale for 11/11) and an early launch of Black Friday with a discount code for sitewide sale access.
- Show Company Values. Post-Black Friday sales, Stance launched a campaign to donate 10% of revenue on “Giving Tuesday”, the day after Cyber Monday to the World Central Kitchen. This allows subscribers to feel like they’re buying for a purpose, which can help increase post-sale purchases.
Email Content Tactics:
- Branding. Stance maintained specific branding throughout their sale campaign with a hand written title style and bold colours.
- Imagery. A mixture of editorial and product imagery was used throughout emails to promote holiday buying and showcase products.
- Highlights. Stance uses subtle highlights such as banners under main imagery and blue highlighted text in body copy to remind readers about their sales.
Stance, a casual and performance sock company, built a detailed email rollout to celebrate the holidays and advertise a Black Friday e-commerce campaign that yielded an average of 83K subscribers opening a email per campaign.
From October to December 2020, Stance saw an average of 204K monthly traffic to the site. Increases in traffic during the holiday season correspond to Black Friday campaign roll outs*. November 2020 saw a +78% increase in traffic over October 2020.
The Art of Giving
Introducing Holiday Assets. At the beginning of November, Stance launched their “Art of Giving” campaign that sorts products into different gift categories to help customers shop for gifts. Bold and colourful assets are used in conjunction with ecommerce photography to show a combination of offerings for the holiday season.
Subject Line: The Art of Giving
Read Rate: 23%
Offering a Small Pre-Sale. As an additional unique campaign, Stance launched the 11% off sale sitewide to celebrate “singles’ day” as a play on the 11/11 date. Branding in the colours and graphics is maintained from the “Art of Giving” email to bring cohesion to a broader holiday campaign.
Subject Line: Happy Singles' Day 🎟
Read Rate: 18%
Black Friday Sale Launch
20% Off Sitewide. For a simple Black Friday campaign, Stance launched their sitewide sale a day early to reward and incentivize buyers to shop with them first. The sale is initiated by the use of a code STANCE20 that can only be redeemed if buyers remember to enter the code at checkout.
Subject Line: We're in the GIVING Mood 🙌🏼
Read Rate: 21%
Thanksgiving FRIENDS Drop
Timely Collaboration Launch. On Thanksgiving, Stance launched their FRIENDS tv show collaboration in honor of ‘friendsgiving’. This draws in both fans of the show and customers who are excited about thanksgiving products. A reminder about the Black Friday code is placed under the banner image and in the body copy of the email.
Subject Line: Happy FRIENDS🦃GIVING
Read Rate: 18%
$20 Gift Card with $100 Purchase
Cyber Monday. On Cyber Monday, Stance launched a new deal that gives buyers a $20 gift card if $100 or more is spent on an order. This method helps increase average order value as well as the number of items bought while discounted.
Subject Line: New Deal
Read Rate: 20%
Cyber Monday Extended. The 20% off sitewide is further extended past Cyber Monday where Stance builds a sense of urgency by sending out an email warning subscribers that their chance to get deals is almost over. Holiday branding and product imagery is used throughout to encourage viewers to buy for the season.
Subject Line: 20% Off Sitewide is A-L-M-O-S-T over 🗣
Read Rate: 23%
Giving Tuesday Launch
Creating Balance. To follow up their selling campaign, Stance participated in “Giving Tuesday” where 10% of revenue was donated to the World Central Kitchen. The email includes information about the charity’s actions and values. It provides clear context about where the money is going and how Stance is giving back.
Subject Line: Stance x World Central Kitchen🤝🌎🍽
Read Rate: 37%
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-on-Demand →