How Mountaineering & Alpinism Social Properties Generated 190M Video Views from May 2021 to May 2022
Overview of the digital alpinism landscape from May 2021 to May 2022:
- Geolocation: Looking at the geolocation of the top alpinism website visitors and the top alpinism social properties followers, the US has the largest alpinism audience, followed by Italy. Other leading countries include France, Switzerland, Germany, the Philippines, and Brazil.
- Age & Gender: 60% of the web visitors to the top 10 alpinism websites were male, and the majority of these visitors were 25 to 44 years old. Followers to the top alpinism social properties are predominantly male (72%) and range mostly from ages 25 to 44 (52%).
Platforms: Instagram generated the highest amount of alpinism views, followed by Facebook (11%) and then by Instagram (7%) and TikTok (7%). Instagram has the largest audience of followers for the top 15 alpinism athletes. Although TikTok has the smallest audience relative to the other platforms, it’s generated significant engagements on average for from May. ‘21 to May. ‘22.
Top Athletes: Nirmal Purja, Kilian Jornet, and Simone Moro have the largest alpinism audience on social. When looking at the average engagement per post, Kilian Jornet,, Nirmal Purja and Will Gadd have the highest rates.
- YouTube: Top opportunities on YouTube include vlogs that share the experience of the entire expedition, vlogs of reaching the summit, videos showcasing the panoramic views from the summit, and historical achievements made by mountaineers.
- Facebook: Top opportunities on Facebook include videos of athletes celebrating reaching the summit, historical achievements made by mountaineers, trekking POVs, and videos that share the expedition’s highlight reel.
- Instagram: Top opportunities on Instagram include videos showcasing the panoramic views from the summit, highlighting the expedition’s highlight reel, showing how athletes train for expeditions, and trekking POVs.
- TikTok: Top opportunities on TikTok include videos from that share the fun moments at basecamp, ice climbing POVs, trekking POVs, and views from the summit.
Alpinism Audience Scan
Based on web traffic, the following were the top ten alpinism websites from May 2021 to May 2022. On average, these alpinism resources generated 457K web visits per month.
Italy accounted for 22% of traffic to the top ten alpinism websites, followed by the United States (19%), Switzerland (18%) and France (10%).
Males account for 60% of all top alpinism website traffic. As for age, people between the ages of 25 and 44 accounted for 47% of the traffic.
Top 10 Alpinism Social Properties by Total Views*
From May. ‘21 to May. ‘22. Mountain Planet generated the most views by a significant margin, with over 106M+ views.
The United States accounted for 39% of the top ten alpinism social properties followers, followed by the Philippines (29%), France (20%) and Brazil (18%).
The followers of the top 10 alpinism social properties skew male (72%) and are predominantly aged 25 to 44 years old (52%).
Instagram generated the highest amount of alpinism views, accounting for 75% of the total views from May. ‘21 to May. ‘22. Facebook is the second highest and makes up 11% of alpinism video views. YouTube and TikTok generated 7% each of the total video views.
Top Alpinism Athletes
Top 15 Alpinism Athletes by Average Engagement
Kilian Jornet and Nirmal Purja have the largest audiences on YouTube with 88K and 78K subscribers, respectively. Simone Moro, David Goettler, Don Bowie, and Liv Sansoz currently do not have YouTube channels.
Nirmal Purja and Kilian Jornet have most followers on Instagram with 1.9M and 1.1M, respectively. All athletes are active on the Instagram platform.
Kilian Jornet, Nirmal Purja and Simone Moro have the most followers on Facebook with 1.3M, 492K and 190K followers, respectively. All athletes are active on the Facebook platform.
Nirmal Purja has the largest athlete following on TikTok with 52K followers. Kilian Jornet, Mingma Gyabu, and Will Gadd have 11K, 9K, and 3K followers, respectively. All other athletes are not active on the platform.
Nirmal Purja and Kilian Jornet are the most popular alpinism content creators on social. Will Gadd and Jon Gupta's average engagement per post is higher on average than other alpinists with similar follower counts.
Instagram has the largest audience of followers and number of engagements for the Top 15 alpinism athletes from May. ‘21 to May. ‘22. Although TikTok has the smallest audience relative to other platforms, it generated a significant number of engagements on average.
Top Content Buckets
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →