Growing Organic Social Web Traffic +269% YoY
Wealthsimple, a Canadian financial platform, has a large Millennial and Gen Z audience base that they attract with a strong organic social media strategy. From Q2 2020 to Q2 2021, organic social traffic has seen major increases YoY from both desktop (+460%) and mobile devices (+335%). In Q2 2021, social accounts for 5.2% of all web traffic to the site.
Wealthsimple implements the following tactics in their social media strategy:
- Posting Cadence: Wealthsimple posts an average of 40 times a quarter across Twitter (56), Instagram (31) and Facebook (31). Each channel has seen growth in following over the past year up to +120%.
- Cross-Posting: Wealthsimple uses their main channels in unison so that all content is aligned no matter what platform a user is on.
- Branding & Aesthetic: Wealthsimple maintains a strong brand aesthetic with colours, illustrations and imagery consistent across all of their platforms.
- Content Strategy: Wealthsimple has seven main category buckets that they often post within so that their audience knows what to expect and look forward to.
Wealthsimple, a Canadian financial platform, enables everyday people to take control of their finances anywhere from investing, crypto, taxes, trading and cash management. With a Millennial and Gen Z heavy audience base, Wealthsimple has developed a strong organic social media strategy to attract their audience and keep them engaged.
From July 2020 to June 2021, Wealthsimple has generated 3.4M monthly visits to the site in Canada. The site saw a +222% increase in traffic during the first half of 2021.
Wealthsimple’s audience falls in the majority of the Millennial to Gen Z bracket with 52% of their audience in the 18-34 age range. As of Q2 2021, there are more men visiting the site (64%) than women (34%).
From Q2 2020 to Q2 2021, organic social traffic has seen major increases from both desktop (+460%) and mobile devices (+335%). In Q2 2021, social accounted for 5.2% of all web traffic to the site.
From July 2020 to June 2021, Wealthsimple’s main organic social channels; Facebook (+10%), Instagram (+120%) and Twitter (+38%) all saw growth YoY.
Wealthsimple focuses on three main elements of their social media to build and grow successful accounts including:
Wealthsimple uses their main channels in unison so that all content is aligned no matter what platform a user is on. Wealthsimple repurposes their content to be cross-postable on any channel. Instead of varying the content posted on each channel, they all launch at the same time with different formats to suit each platform.
2. Brand & Aesthetic
Wealthsimple maintains a strong brand aesthetic with colours, illustrations and imagery consistent across all platforms. Wealthsimple has built a unique, aesthetically pleasing brand image that they maintain on all of their social media platforms. On Instagram, they maintain cohesive Story Highlight covers to give their profile a unified image. Bright colours, illustrations and graphics are the forefront of Wealthsimple’s branding.
3. Content Strategy
Wealthsimple has 7 main category buckets that they consistently post within so their audience knows what to expect. Wealthsimple’s content buckets include:
1. Explainers. Short posts that do a deep dive into different financial concepts, such as NFTs, for audience members to learn from.
2. Product Features. Showcasing new product features, drops and functionality for audience members to stay up to date with their platform.
3. Culture. Featuring popular thought-leaders, musicians and celebrities to talk about their perspectives on finance.
4. Money Diaries. Breaking down different financial concepts, lifestyles and scenarios with storytelling to show different contexts.
5. Graphics. Using simple graphic images with no text to tell a deeper story or concept in the caption.
6. Dear Lizzie. A nostalgic columnist concept where audience members write in with questions they need advice on, anonymously.
7. Podcast. Short excerpt and explanation to introduce a new podcast episode for audience members to tune into.
Wealthsimple’s top posted content category in Q2 2021 was Product Features (46%) followed by Culture (16%) and Podcast (14%) posts.
In Q2 2021, Instagram and Twitter had the highest engagement on Product Feature posts where Facebook saw the highest engagement in Culture posts.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →