Ideating Running Content With Search Data
Content & Messaging — Answer the Audience’s Questions: In the Running Content Case Study we determined that educational/tutorial style content pieces are often some of the highest performing posts across all major social platforms. Taking inspiration from the audience’s Google searches & reddit advice threads around niche run-related topics can help ideate top-performing content.
Based on our analysis of Google search data, consider creating content ‘buckets’ to answer these audience questions:
- Hardware & Apps: Which pieces of gear & which apps suit various types of runners and their specific needs?
- Recovery & Pain: How can runners enjoy & achieve while avoiding pitfalls? Do any ambassadors have advice?
- Motivation: What gets a runner up in the morning? How can they dig deep and draw inspiration to push farther?
- The Soundtrack: How do different types of runners use music, podcasts, and audiobooks to enhance running?
- Training Routines: How should training vary depending on different runners’ goals?
- Gear & Apparel Pitfalls: What are the downsides of various types of gear? Address the actual pitfalls.
- Conditions: How should runners deal with various weather conditions? Do they need special gear or training?
The most popular questions being asked on Google about running are related to health & fitness, more specifically about weight loss and strength training.
Digging deeper, the specific questions that runners are asking about health & fitness on Google are:
Digging deeper, the specific questions that runners are asking about clothes & gear on Google are:
Digging deeper, the specific questions that runners are asking about comparison, tips & tricks and recovery on Google are:
The most popular questions being asked on Reddit about running are related to training, more specifically about endurance and pacing.
Digging deeper, the specific questions that runners are asking about training on Reddit are:
- Any good workouts for increasing leg endurance?
- How to gradually build my stamina again?
- Is training in high heat beneficial to endurance running?
- What kind of pace to set for a consistent run?
- Is my half marathon goal pace realistic?
- Have been struggling to hit my normal pace, what am I doing wrong?
- Marathon possible in four weeks?
- Just completed a half-marathon PB and wondering how one should feel during/after PB effort?
Digging deeper, the specific questions that runners are asking about clothing & gear on Reddit are:
- Hoka EVO Speedgoat vs Hoka Torrent 2 vs Peg 36 Trail?
- 6 foot, 260 lbs man looking for trail runners?
- Switching between minimal and normal running shoes?
- New running shoes rubbing on both outside ankle bones - do I need to return or will they “break in”?
- Hot feet after 4K mark. I have good fitting shoes but still makes me uncomfortable.
- New running shoes and calf pain
Clothing & Accessories
Digging deeper, the specific questions that runners are asking about apps & tech, recovery, motivation, stretching and audio on Reddit are:
Apps & Tech
- Anyone have recommendations for an Apple Watch run app?
- Fed up with Endomondo as the service is dying - what’s next?
- What watch/app combo do you use?
- Runners, what is your favourite app to keep track of your runs?
Recovery & Pain
- Unusually tense and sore quads immediately after short run?
- Anyone have a good injury recovery training schedule?
- What is your self care routine after a run?
- Tips for very sore thighs / top of legs after running?
- How to get motivated after time off?
- Got frustrated after running. What do I do?
- How do I get out of the “I hate running” mindset again?
- Any ideas to stay motivated running in a city centre?
- Is stretching a waste of time?
- In need of a time effective post run stretching routine?
- What’s your mobility/stretching routine?
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →