How Fabletics Tapped into Connected Fitness And Generated 57K App Downloads
Fabletics is a fashionable athletic clothing company co-founded by Kate Hudson. The brand promises “the same quality and performance for half the price” (source). Early in 2021, the company ventured into the connected fitness domain and launched the Fabletics FIT app. The service provides access to dozens of fitness and meditation classes:
- Promotion Strategy — Fabletics Is Interested in Engaging its VIP Members Before Tapping Into a Wider Audience: Fabletics has a VIP membership for its clients that gives them access to FIT’s classes. For those who are not a part of the VIP membership, a monthly subscription costs $14.95. The brand sent only one email to 7% of its total newsletter list announcing the FIT program. Fabletics didn’t leverage any paid advertising to drive the adoption of the FIT app.
- Results — 57K Users Download Fabletics FIT since February 2021: 54% of app downloads were to iOS devices. The app has 707 active monthly Android users; 202 of them use the app daily. The launch of Fabletics FIT helped the brand to balance its gender profile and attract more males users. Fabletics FIT has 59% male users and 41% female, while the company's website had 92% of female visitors.
Fabletics is an athletic apparel company selling fashionable yoga and fitness clothing co-founded by Kate Hudson. The brand promises “the same quality and performance for half the price” (source).
Fabletics is recognized today as one of the fastest-growing brands in the history of eCommerce (source).
In February 2021, the company presented its fitness app available on iOS and Android devices — Fabletics FIT, joining a host of other companies that ventured into the connected fitness domain (Apple, Lululemon, Nike, WeightWatchers).
After seeing its website traffic grow by +88% in 2020, Fabletics launched a fitness app, Fabletics FIT, in February 2021.
The company tapped into the emerging need of its consumers who were looking for new ways to stay fit at home.
Fabletics FIT offers live and on-demand workouts and meditation sessions led by experienced instructors.
- Free for VIP members (VIP memberships require a monthly purchase of any Fabletics item from its ecommerce website or a monthly payment of USD 67 (About VIP Membership).
- $14.95 per month.
- Hydrow. Fabletics FIT members have exclusive access to Hydrow instructor-led rowing and strength classes.
- Spotify. Partnership with Spotify allows Fabletic FIT members to play their favourite playlists under the instructor’s voice.
Purchase Incentives: Fabletics incentivizes apparel purchases with in-app communication. The brand offers discounts and deal for members who completed FIT challenges.
Since the FIT app launch, Fabletics sent only one email presenting its workout classes to its email list.
Email subject: Fabletics FIT is now on your phone!
Date: Apr 13, 2021
Volume: 165K (7% of a total email list)
Read Rate: 7.1%
Out of $20M Fabletics spent on digital ads since the beginning of 2021, none of the ads led to the Fabletics FIT page or promoted the app.
The brand promotes Fabletics FIT to its 1.9M followers on Instagram.
Fabletics FIT also has its own Instagram page that has only accumulated 9K followers (as of Aug 2021). The brand posts about the following topics:
Sales and Discounts
As of August 2021, Fabletics FIT was downloaded 57K — 54% of the downloads were to iOS devices.
The launch of Fabletics FIT helped the company to balance its gender profile with app users being more skewed towards the male audience (59%).
With over 3K ratings on both Apple and Google stores combined, Fabletics FIT had a rating of over 4.5 stars.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →