YouTube Mountain Biking Content Opportunity Analysis™ Q1 2022
The Mountain Biking industry can find content opportunities in Q1 2022 from:
- Bring in Value: Sharing highly valuable information in a short amount of time for low to no cost.
- All About Relating: These videos aim to share relatable content and community-driven values when it comes to the world of mountain biking.
- A New Side to Athletes: These videos usually showcase athlete sentiment, training and overall feelings towards competitions and riding.
Data Collection Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Measure Saturation. Identify content themes that are already oversaturated with a heavy posting cadence.
- Identify Whitespace. Look at the data and find the content themes that are both resonating with the audience and not oversaturated with a heavy posting cadence.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
YouTube content the audience has been the most interested in Q1 2022 includes:
While the majority of YouTube content in the mountain biking space has focused on:
The mountain biking YouTube content whitespace opportunities include:
Content to avoid due to low attention and high competitor saturation in the mountain biking space include:
Content that appeared in both Q4 2021 and Q1 2022 experienced the following increases or decreases in total views & engagements and # of posts:
#1. MTB Hacks
Bring in Value. Videos in this category aim to share highly valuable information in a short amount of time. These hacks usually require little to no cost for implementation.
Tactics to Implement:
- YouTube Shorts: The quick nature of these videos, which is about 18 seconds long, enable the Shorts format as the best method to show different ways athletes can quickly improve their riding experience.
- Solving Pain Points: Hack videos often solve very specific pain points that all mountain bike riders can identify with and potentially want to solve as well.
#2. MTB Community
All About Relating. These videos aim to share relatable content and community-driven values when it comes to the world of mountain biking.
Tactics to Implement:
- Something Only Mountain Bikers Would Know: Content that performs well in this category is authentic to the community and speaks directly to experiences that most mountain bikers would have experienced themselves.
- Getting Personal: In one video, two pro mountain bikers watch local riders and choose the best ones to join them on an exclusive mountain biking opportunity. This demonstrates the love of the sport from all levels.
#3. Athlete Profiles
Introduce a New Side to Athletes. Videos in this category aim to show another side to athletes beyond their athletic performance. These videos usually showcase athlete sentiment, training and overall feelings towards competitions and riding.
Tactics to Implement:
- Honesty: Athlete profiles generally feature a level of vulnerability from the riders about their feelings on their recent performances at competitions.
- Voice-Overs: Using a mixture of audio from interviews with the athletes over b-roll can help keep viewers engaged.
- 20-Second Intro: Top videos from Shimano feature a 20-second highlight reel featuring the athlete in action, acting as a teaser for the rest of the video.
Content Bucket Definitions
- Athlete Profile: Videos that showcase an ‘episode’ with interviews, clips and rides from a highlighted athlete.
- Building & Riding: Videos that show the process of riders building their own lines and courses then riding them.
- E-Mountain Bikes: Sharing all the news, updates and reviews on everything e-mountain bikes.
- Gear Reviews: Videos that focus on specific bikes or parts to test how viable they are for mountain biking.
- MTB Community: Videos that are relatable, entertaining or humorous to the community of mountain bikers.
- MTB Fails: Videos that compile different clips of mountain bikers falling and failing on their rides.
- MTB Film: Mountain biking experiences shown through the lens of a specific story being told with high quality video production or bts of the making of an mtb film.
- MTB Hacks: Informative videos sharing quick and useful mountain biking hacks.
- MTB Lessons: Mountain biking 101s for beginners to learn online.
- MTB Stunts: Videos that show detailed stunts and tricks performed by professionals, usually posted as YouTube Shorts featuring jumps at bike parks.
- MTB Trends: Videos that share products that are up and coming for the biking community.
- MTB Trail Vlog: Riders taking viewers on an informal journey throughout their day while biking.
- POV Trial Rides: Downhill trail rides filmed with a GoPro to show the ride from the biker's point of view.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-on-Demand →