How MTB Brands Generated 15.3M Website Visits Over 12 Months
The websites in the competitive set generated 15.3M visits between November 2021 and October 2022. Here’s how:
- April through August saw above-average traffic across the competitive set, peaking in August at 1.4M visits. The lowest traffic month was February with 1.1M visits.
- DT Swiss has the highest volume of overall traffic, monthly traffic, and unique visitors per month. Deity Components saw the lowest volume of traffic.
- On desktop, the websites have an average visit duration of 3.27 minutes, +1.15 minutes longer than the average visit duration on mobile.
- The average number of page views across the competitive set is 5 on desktop and 4 on mobile.
- The average bounce rate across all websites was 38% on desktop and 47% on mobile.
- Organic search made up 68% of all traffic across the competitive set followed by Direct (17%) and Paid Search (5%).
- Shimano MTB has the second-highest traffic volume across the set and the most diversity in traffic distribution with 28% Organic Search, 23% Referrals, 16% Direct, and 17% Paid Search.
The following companies were included in the competitive set for this analysis:
The competitive set saw 15.3M site visits from November 2021 to October 2022 with an average of 1.3M visits per month. Monthly traffic increased by +14% from May 2022 to October 2022. Mobile made up 56% of all traffic.
70% of competitors had their highest traffic months between May and August 2022.
80% of competitors had their lowest traffic months between December and March.
Traffic was relatively stable month over month with the highest monthly traffic in August 2022 (1.4M) and the lowest in February 2021 (1.1M). Monthly traffic numbers were above average between April 2022, and August 2022.
From November 2021 to October 2022, DT Swiss had the highest total traffic by a significant margin (4M) with equal traffic across desktop and mobile. Shimano MTB’s traffic volume was second overall (2.2M) and the brand had the highest percentage of mobile traffic overall at 88%.
DT Swiss led the competitive set in average monthly traffic with 322K visitors per month and saw equal traffic across desktop and mobile. Deity Components had the lowest monthly traffic at 30K visitors per month, with 45% on desktop and 55% on mobile.
DT Swiss also led the competitive set in average monthly unique visitors at 173K followed by OneUp Components (77K) and Shimano MTB (75K).
Renthal saw the highest number of page visits on desktop at 6 pages followed by OneUp Components at 5.7 pages. The average page visits across all ten sites was 4.5.
On mobile, Deity Components (5.4) and DT Swiss (5.3) had the highest number of page visits. The average across all ten sites was 3.9 pages on mobile.
Ergon had the longest visit duration on desktop at 4.32 minutes followed by OneUp Components at 3.5 minutes. The average visit duration across all ten sites was 3.41 minutes on desktop.
Deity Components had the longest visit duration on mobile at 3.56 minutes followed by DT Swiss at 3.19 minutes. Notably, while Ergon has the highest visit duration on desktop, the brand's mobile visit duration is only 2 minutes. The average visit duration across all ten sites on mobile was 2.12 minutes.
The average bounce rate across the 10 websites is 37.6% on desktop. Renthal (23.6%) and Crank Brothers (25.4%) had the lowest bounce rate on desktop while RockShox (50%) and Cane Creek (49.1%) had the highest.
On mobile, the average bounce rate across the 10 websites is 47.2%. OneUp Components (30.9%) and DT SWISS (31.5%) had the lowest bounce rate on mobile while Deity Components (61.9%) and Shimano MTB (57.2%) had the highest.
Traffic across the competitive set is led by Organic Search (68%) followed by Direct search (16.6%). Display Ads, Email and Social make up less than 5 percent of total traffic.
Organic Search was the dominant traffic source across all brands. Direct followed for all brands with the exception of Shimano, who gained 23% of total traffic from Referrals. For all other brands, Display Ads, Email, and Paid search made up less than 5% of total traffic.
On average, 62% of traffic generated from Organic Search came from branded keywords amongst the competitive set. DT Swiss generated 83% of their organic search traffic from branded keywords.
*Mobile traffic data unavailable for RockShox and SRAM MTB
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-on-Demand →