YouTube Poland Hip-Hop Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
YouTube Content Bucket Definitions:
- #hot16challenge: In these videos creators have 72 hours to write 16 bars and film it, nominating 4 others to complete the challenge in the process.
- Radio Performance: Videos in this category feature artists visiting media publisher and radio station newonce to perform their songs live on air.
- Games & Challenges: These videos include formats that invite rappers to go through a series of games and prompts such as Rap Show, Rap & Cognac, Scrabble Battle, Interrogation Series and Correct Pronunciation
- Interview: Videos in this category tend to feature artists opening up about themselves more in the context of different interview formats such as FLINTESENCJA, Worst Questions, Conversations with WINI and Two Worlds.
- Remix: These feature rappers re-writing the lyrics to popular songs and performing over the original beat with their own twist to the music.
- This or That: A short video format about 3 minutes in length where rappers are invited on to choose between two options in a rapid fire.
- Best of Rap Battle: Compilations of the top moments in live rap battle performances.
- Cypher: A performance format where three or more rappers perform alongside each other only starting to rap when another artist ends their flow.
- Guest Live Stream: Ranging about 1.5 hours in length, guest live streams feature full radio segments with rappers and their team as they chat and perform.
- Live Rap Battle: Live Rap Battles feature a series of artists competing against each other in front of a live audience through freestyles.
- Hip-Hop & Fashion: Celebrating the intersection of hip-hop and fashion by honoring moments with rappers at streetwear retailer Grail Point in Poland.
- Rate Verses: Guests are invited on to read fellow rappers bars without knowing who wrote it while they give them a general rating.
- Rap Quiz: A simple rap format with guests where the host asks them rap questions, the guest sits informally in front of the camera while answering.
- PND: A series where rappers highlight which rapper they would sign if they had a label, who they would collaborate with and who they would beef with.
- Radio Freestyle: A single outlier (not included in the graph) similar to Radio Performances, this content category sees rappers performing freestyles on air.
Content buckets that had the highest average views & engagement in the Polish hip-hop space on YouTube include:
Good performing content opportunities for the Polish hip-hop audience on YouTube include:
Substandard performing content for the Polish hip-hop audience on YouTube include:
Low performing content for the Polish hip-hop audience on YouTube include:
Originally started in 2014, the first round of the #hot16challenge grew out of a trend where creators had 72 hours to write 16 bars and film it, nominating 4 others to complete the challenge in the process. Round two started in 2020 with the rise of COVID as a way to raise money for Polish healthcare workers.
Tactics to Implement:
- Network Effect: When trends spread in Poland, they really spread. The #hot16challenge2 tag on YouTube has generated 33K videos from 25K channels* generating participation well beyond the hip-hop scene.
- Video Length: These videos tend to be about 2 minutes in length.
- Similar to Radio Performances, in Poland there is a lack of media that invites rappers in to be challenged musically.
- Create a mini-version of this where artists work in studio with select resources available to them to make a song in 5-10 minutes.
*Only hip-hop publications are included in the analysis and not individual major artists’ posts of the challenge.
2. Radio Performance
Videos in this category feature artists visiting media publisher newonce to perform their songs live on air.
Tactics to Implement:
- Set Up: These videos tend to include no introduction and start with the artist at the mic right away. There are no unique design elements related to live performances as they all take place in a studio.
- Video Length: Radio Performance videos tend to be 3 minutes and 25 seconds in length.
- Currently in the Polish rap scene there is no performance format that leverages live music beyond generic stage performances or being live on air for radio. There are also no formats that challenge hip-hop musicians lyrically by freestyles other than rap battles.
- The top performing videos in this segment tend to include artists bringing more dynamic elements into their performances. In this video, Sokół brings in a children’s choir and in this video Żabson has his team and friends vibing in the background.
3. Games & Challenges
These videos include different formats that invite rappers on to participate in content that includes navigating unusual conversations with unique hosts (like a child), rating drinks, playing scrabble with fellow artists, answering questions with only yes or no and being challenged to pronounce foreign words.
Tactics to Implement:
- Top Performing Series: The two top performing series are brand-sponsored creations by Pizza Hut (Rap Show) and Hennessy (Rap & Cognac). These formats average at about 8-11 minutes in length and generated +95% and +23% more average views and engagements than other challenge series respectively.
- Brands such as Pizza Hut and Hennessy sponsor the creation of these videos with production companies and distribute them through top hip-hop platforms like PopKiller TV and CGM.
- The format Rap & Cognac can be repurposed into an audience friendly format where rappers try new flavours or mocktails made with Red Bull while answering questions or freestyling.
Videos in this category tend to feature artists opening up about themselves more in the context of different interview formats such as FLINTESENCJA, Worst Questions, Conversations with WINI and Two Worlds.
Tactics to Implement:
- Personalities: There are several different interview formats all based on the interviewer’s personality. There are not many differences amongst the content of the interviews other than the hosts across them.
- Video Length: On average, these videos are about 40 minutes in length.
- In 2021, rap music accounted for 23% of all music listened to in Poland on Spotify. From 2018-2021, Spotify’s Polish Rap Generacja (generation) playlist has seen a +240% increase in listenership taking the place as the most listened to playlist in the country. Rap is taking over in Poland and consumers are going to be looking for more content to learn about their favourite artists.
These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
Tactic: This video features Quebonafide freestyling but with a very awkward and shy energy compared to his normal presentation.
Tactic: This video features several rappers collaborating and performing along in each others’ songs within the live performance.
Tactic: This video features a follow-along documentary method where the filmmaker spends a day with an artist, Bedoes.
Tactic: This video is about 5 minutes in length and features the rapper Mata. The video starts in the middle of an interview.
This or That
Tactic: This video features Sobel answering ‘This or That’ questions, the video is 2 minutes long and starts with no introduction.
Live Rap Battle
Tactic: This 18 minute live rap battle features a semi-final competition with major reactions and engagement from the audience.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →