YouTube Germany Hip-Hop Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
1. Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
2. Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
3. Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
4. Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
5. Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
YouTube Content Bucket Definitions
- Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?: A challenge that invites artists on to test if they can answer 5th grade questions correctly.
- Backwards Challenge: A challenge where artists must identify songs played to them backwards.
- Beat It Like: A series where producers of top rap songs in Germany take hosts through how it was made.
- Finishing Lines Challenge: This challenge aims to remind artists of their older work and see if they are able to follow along and finish a song being played from their early career.
- Food & Music: A series called BAKED aimed at connecting artists to food and challenging them to try different spices/flavours throughout interviews.
- Live Performance Cyphers: Gathering top artists for one shot performance cyphers.
- Opinion On: (aka meinung zu) Interview/game style content that ask artists their ‘opinion on’ other artists or specific topics in their world.
- Outdoor Battles: Rap battles that take place explicitly outside with a MC/moderator present and large crowds.
- Punchline Quiz: Artists are given the punchline of a song from another artist and must guess correctly who the artist is from three choices.
- Rap Battle League: Any videos demonstrating more than one party participating in a rap battle.
- Singen Deutschrap: Artists from other countries do their best to sing and replicate some of the top artists in German rap.
- Song Association: A challenge where artists are given one word and they must think of a song representing that word.
- Speedwriting Rap Challenge: Artists have a finite amount of time to write a unique set of lyrics and perform it live in front of fellow artists based on different themes and prompts.
- What's In Your Playlist?: A series where artists share what they are currently listening to and how it impacts or inspires them.
The hip-hop YouTube content whitespace opportunities in Germany include:
YouTube content that is the most competitive due to its popularity and high competitor saturation in the hip-hop space in Germany include:
Content to avoid due to low attention and high competitor saturation in the hip-hop space in Germany include:
Content to ignore due to low attention and low competitor saturation in the hip-hop space in Germany include:
1. Singen Deutschrap
In this whitespace opportunity, artists from other countries do their best to sing and replicate some of the top artists in German rap.
Tactics to Implement:
- The clip starts with a 10 second description of how the challenge will work for the artist and viewers.
- The host plays a German song for 5-10 seconds before the artist then tries to replicate the song.
- The music video for the song being played is highlighted in the bottom right corner for viewers.
- Content that shows artists getting excited to hear the other songs and wanting to participate helps create an engaging atmosphere.
- These videos tend to be about 6-7 minutes in length.
- This content can be repurposed across artists by engaging and challenging them to sing or put their own spin on their fellow artists’ songs.
- Use existing songs to harness relationships* across the rap scene as a new way to honor others. (*Ensure artists have good relationships when approaching who can engage with other artists’ content)
2. Finishing Lines Challenge
This challenge aims to remind artists of their older work and see if they are able to follow along and finish a song being played from their early career.
Tactics to Implement:
- These videos are often repurposed from YouTube and notably found in Instagram Whitespace Opportunities.
- Remember Your Own Lyrics challenges are segments from longer interviews that usually last 15-20% of the whole video (3-4 minutes).
- Even though the challenge is a small fraction of the video, content creators choose to highlight this challenge as the main title for the video’s SEO on YouTube as a point of interest for viewers.
- Invoke reminiscence with artists and their fan base by inviting participants with niche or loyal audiences to not only watch if the artist can finish their own lines, but to see if their audience can finish the lines as well.
- Think about ways in which you can activate your guests to address their evolution as an artist. For example, playing their old beats and having them freestyle on it now as the artists they have become.
3. Speedwriting Rap Challenge
These videos focus on giving artists a finite amount of time to write a unique set of lyrics and perform it live in front of fellow artists based on different themes and prompts.
Tactics to Implement:
- These videos aim to include dynamic shots through comedy by featuring random close ups of an artist’s face or motion graphics to make the screen shake when something exciting is happening.
- The creators take time to introduce the participants by inserting b-roll clips of them being their truest selves.
- Artists are given themes they need to write their songs around such as “90s beat” or “trap”. Major takeaways are written on the screen in subtitles.
- Artists are given 10-15 minutes to write then perform their songs on the spot. This builds a fair playing ground and enables their creativity & talent to shine.
- This type of content can be easily turned into a short-form version and serialized with individual artists. Instead of using multiple artists at once, focus on one artist per video and have them write/perform lyrics for multiple themes and beats.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-on-Demand →