YouTube Germany Electronic Music Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize: Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes: Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark: Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities: Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform: Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
YouTube Content Bucket Definitions
- Unique Location Mix: A performance format where the artist experiments with DJ sets in unique locations such as on a gondola.
- Single Format Performance: A performance format where a single DJ performs in a serialized setting such as HÖR, Sunset Sessions or Room Lab.
- Vinyl Set: A performance format where DJs challenge themselves to complete a mix using only vinyl records.
- Game Formats: A range of series from different publishers that engage artists in games such as "Do You Know the Song?" and "Song-Tinder".
- Back2Back: A B2B performance where two DJs are given a space to perform back to back and in collaboration with each other.
- Track from Scratch: Working with producers as they take viewers through the process of making a track from scratch.
- Experimenting with Synthesizers: Producers test a range of different synthesizers from across the world to demonstrate different sounds..
- Production Setup: Artists taking viewers through their favourite tools and must-haves for their production setup.
- Techno Clubs: Diving into Germany's (specifically Berlin's) raging techno club scene and its impact on electronic music.
- Unique Production Tools: Exploring unusual production tools to create unique sounds for electronic music such as with obsolete school equipment.
- Interview: Different formats that indulge artists to talk about themselves including documentary style videos and series such as "What Annoys You?", "One to Watch", "What Do You Think You Are?" & "Ask the Producer".
- Studio Tour: Artists giving viewers a tour of their studio space and showing different elements of their creative zones.
- Blind Test: Testing DJs to see if they can identify tracks on snippets of songs without being able to know who produced it or see the album artwork.
- Festival Set: This outlier features a 90-minute set with switching angles throughout the video that demonstrates the size of the audience & set design.
Location Mix is an extreme performing content opportunity, averaging 3x the average view & engagement benchmark on YouTube.
Excellent performing content for the Germany electronic music audience on YouTube include:
Good performing opportunities for the German electronic music audience on YouTube include:
Substandard performing content for the German electronic music audience on YouTube include:
Low performing content for the German electronic music audience on YouTube include:
1. Unique Location Mix
Tactics to Implement:
- Song Segmentation: Use YouTube’s segmentation feature to breakdown where different songs start and begin within the mixes. In this video, viewership peaks consistently where songs end and start.
- Unpredictable: As more people work from home, they are throwing mixes up on their televisions while they work for ambient background noise. Creating unique backgrounds helps to stimulate interest.
- Video Length: These videos tend to be 45 minutes or longer.
- Unique mix videos help create consistent viewership over long periods of time, the most replayed moment in this video happens 37 minutes in with a strong song transition.
- Experiment with the premise of surprise as you take the traditional mix to the next level.
2. Single Format Performance
Tactics to Implement:
- Time to Host: These platforms thrive off inviting talented DJs to perform in serialized settings. While the settings remain consistent they are adaptable to help reflect the artist, being able to change lighting colour and ambience as a personal touch.
- Introductions: These videos do not feature introductions but instead periods of set up where no music plays or the artist is just settling into their set. Other people can be seen in the background moving throughout until they start to perform.
- This is an opportunity to tap into all of YouTube’s features, HÖR uses the Live Stream feature to host their videos creating a diverse range of content formats on their channel.
- No visual effects are limited, experiment with color, lens types (ie. fisheye), and perspectives with unique set designs and a range of angles.
3. Vinyl Mix
A performance format where DJs challenge themselves to complete a mix using only vinyl records.
Tactics to Implement:
- Homage: The music industry was built on vinyl, which like film photography is making a resurgence.
- Effects: In this top video, the DJ experiments with a unique angle. For the duration of the video, the viewer is looking down on his set and is able to see all of his movements.
- While this opportunity performed below tech-forward mix formats like Location Mixes and Single Format Performances, the use of vinyl is a great way to tap into a nostalgic market.
- Create an immersive experience by focusing on one angle per video with top quality footage. Build an aesthetic but nostalgic set for viewers to cast to their big screens. Examples listed have used titles focusing on the type of electronic (ie. “house & deep house”) however there is an opportunity to rank with the addition of keywords like “for studying” or “dinner party”.
4. Game Formats
Tactics to Implement:
- Do You Know the Song: Formats like these are a great way to get to know artist inspirations without directly asking them. In these formats, songs are played for artists and they have to guess if they know it based on a small segment.
- Song-Tinder: This format challenges artists to take the concept of Tinder but apply it to songs. As a song is played, the artist must swipe left (uninterested) or right (interested) on a song.
- Currently there are no game formats that focus on electronic artists exclusively. They’re often a mix of episodes across genres. Create a platform that hosts more top electronic artists from Germany or who are popular in Germany.
- This is a simple format that can be accessible to engage artists across different festivals like Parookaville.
These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
This vinyl mix video features a naturally lit, minimal background with a single angle. The top replayed moment features the DJ physically switching the vinyl.
Unique Production Tools
Tactic: This outlier features an obsolete classroom tool as a production method. The creator uses the tool to speak to the audience as an introduction to himself and the video.
Tactic: This 90-minute EDC festival set features a consistent switch of angles throughout the video that demonstrates the size of the audience, set design and DJ view.
Tactic: This outlier features an in-depth look into Berlin’s famous and exclusive Berghain. Content that features this club across platforms tends to perform well.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →