TikTok Spain Hip-Hop Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
TikTok Content Bucket Definitions
- Freestyle Word Prompt: People experiment giving random words to their friends to freestyle with as they rap.
- Reaction Video: Creators analyzing, reviewing and reacting to new music, news or music videos by artists in the industry.
- Single Format Freestyle: Videos that highlight one creator performing a freestyle on a radio show, through their iPhones or on a special performance format.
- Rap Battle Performance: A performance style where artists pair up against each other to compete through freestyles in a series of segments in front of a live audience.
- 60 Second Freestyle: A Rap Battle segment where an artist has 60 seconds to complete a freestyle in front of a live audience.
- Interview: Content where artists get a chance to sit down and connect with their interviewer and audience to offer insight into their lives.
- 10 Things: A segment hosted by GQ where artists are prompted to share their top 10 essential items they can’t live without.
- Window Gallery Session: Artists perform their songs in a specially designed performance space with musical accompaniment of their choosing.
- Cypher: Within one continuous song, three or more rappers take turns performing their verse until they pass it off to the next artist.
- Industry Opinion: Reviews and insight on up and coming talent and the Spanish rap scene from other rappers or hip-hop content creators.
- Behind the Scenes: Behind the scenes footage of artists preparing for competitions, performances and seeing fans.
Content buckets that had the highest average views & engagement in the Spain hip-hop space include:
Good performing content opportunities for the Spain hip-hop audience on TikTok include:
Substandard performing content opportunities for the Spain hip-hop audience on TikTok include:
Low performing content opportunities for the Spain hip-hop audience on TikTok include:
1. Freestyle Word Prompt
Freestyle Word Prompts are often used as a segment in Rap Battles, however they are also popular on TikTok where everyday people experiment giving random words to their friends to freestyle with as they rap.
Tactics to Implement:
- Make Use of the Everyday: Freestyle word prompts on TikTok tend to be very organic moments when a partner or friend asks someone to freestyle with a series of words. The organic nature makes it seem ‘unbelievable’ and more inspiring to continue watching.
- Theme: Some of these freestyles will set themes within the word prompts such as including random words that only start with a “C”.
- Create a short form organic series where artists hold their own phone and create a freestyle word prompt video at a Red Bull studio.
- This can create an authentic ‘behind the scenes’ moment while an artist is clearly at a Red Bull facility but taking a break to hop on the Red Bull TikTok account. Make sure the word prompts are clearly written on the screen as they are chosen.
2. Reaction Video
Reaction videos are popular in Spain amongst specific creators who listen, watch and review up and coming music and provide real time reactions and thoughts for viewers.
Tactics to Implement:
- Appreciating the Masses: Due to the limited amount of creators specific to Spain but large amongst the Latin community in Mexico, Puerto Rico, etc… there is a large reaction video culture in Spain to incorporate and review Spain-natives as well as other Spanish speaking countries.
- For TikTok?: The majority of reaction videos are not optimized for TikTok and feature a widescreen video with borders on either side.
- Often other rappers or producers will take to making reaction videos to see what their fellow artists are doing in the scene such as Bizarrap.
- Experiment with a TikTok series where Spanish rappers react to previous Red Bull battle or in-house content videos featuring fellow rappers for a unique spin on this saturated but unoptimized format.
3. Single Format Freestyle
Single Format Freestyles feature videos that highlight one creator performing a freestyle on a radio show, through their iPhones or on a special performance format.
Tactics to Implement:
- Compilations & Top Moments: Many native performance platforms in Spain are not active on TikTok leaving rap focus repost and news accounts to share footage from YouTube. These videos often feature the best excerpts or compilations of top freestyle moments.
- Visual Effects: Subtitles are constantly featured on screen to help guide the viewer through freestyles. Lyrics tend to be more dynamic with movement for the viewer to follow along.
Content Opportunities: Currently there is a whitespace as most performance media outlets are not present on TikTok repurposing their content. Create a freestyle performance series that leverages the successful effects of reposted videos such as lyrics on screen or compilations of top freestyle moments.
4. Rap Battle Performance
Rap Battles are a live performance style where artists pair up against each other to compete with freestyles in a series of segments with different prompts in front of a crowd.
Tactics to Implement:
- The Network: Similar to on Instagram, the Urban Rooster Network has led to a large content web of rap accounts sharing clips from rap battles.
- Edits: This video experiments with a clip of a contestant in an interview then a flashback to a relevant moment mid-performance to tie a rapper’s personality to their talent.
- Similar to Single Format Freestyles, text on-screen is an important part of Rap Battle content on TikTok.
- Experiment with a rap battle optimized for TikTok in an outdoor space with a live audience, similar to this video, use different angles and effects to keep the video dynamic for a short period of time that features top punchlines, wins or losses.
Viral Videos: These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
Tactics: This video features Rosalia who is popular internationally due to Travis Scott featuring her on a song in 2020.
60 Second Freestyle
Tactics: This artist shows a lot of emotion in her freestyle which leads to suspense as the seconds countdown.
Tactics: The guest, Nathy Peluso, asks the host where the camera is to look directly into it and send a message.
Rap Battle Performance
Tactics: Constant captions are used across this video to show a heated battle where competitors are moving around often as they rap.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-on-Demand →