TikTok Spain Electronic Music Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
TikTok Content Bucket Definitions
- Mashups: Mashing up different songs into quick mixes based on prompts or moods such as a generational mix.
- Festival Set: Classic festival sets of artists performing with different angles behind the DJ to admire the masses.
- Techno Reaction Vlog: Reaction videos that sometimes use split screens to share creator reactions and thoughts to different types of music.
- Festival Production: Videos that demonstrate the level of set design and production behind electronic music festivals.
- Interview: Interviews with artists that allow them to answer questions about themselves and their inspirations.
- How To: Production: Production tutorials with specific guides on how to recreate electronic music elements.
- Electronic Remix: Producers celebrate their remixes of other songs in their style of production.
- Production Tips: Broader production tips to help guide creators in the community as opposed to step-by-step tutorials.
- Live Club Performance: Footage of artists performing in more intimate club settings where audience members are closer to the performer.
- Genre Production: Highlighting specific production elements and tutorials for different types of electronic genres.
- Produce Like...: Guided tutorials that help artists produce like specific electronic musicians.
- Types of Electronic: Creators honouring and defining different genres within the electronic music sector.
- Single Performance Format: A performance format where an artist is invited to perform in a dedicated setting, created for a live mix.
Mashups is an extreme performing content opportunity, averaging 3x the average view & engagement benchmark on TikTok.
Excellent performing content categories for the Spanish Electronic Music space on TikTok include:
Good performing content for the Spanish Electronic Music Audience on TikTok include:
Substandard performing content for the Spanish Electronic Music Audience on TikTok include:
Low performing content for the Spanish Electronic Music Audience on TikTok include:
Mashup videos consist of a creator sharing quick mixes of songs blending into one another as they take viewers from one to the next.
Tactics to Implement:
- Video Length: These videos average at about 14 seconds in length.
- Introduction: Since these videos are quick in nature, there are generally no introductions. The video starts right away and creators use TikTok’s text features to tell a story about the song selection.
- Genres & Ages Collide: Top performing videos tend to take pop-leaning songs and mash them up into more electronic forward songs. In this video, the creator mashes up songs from 2021 and 2004, bringing two ages together.
- It would be interesting to challenge artists to tell a story through mashups. The top performing videos use mashups to compare different music across generations but artists could use them in a series to describe moments and emotions. There is a lack of electronic-focused mashups.
2. Festival Set
Similar to Facebook and Instagram, Festival Sets are found to be successful on TikTok. Since TikTok is a music-focused and suspense driven platform, Festival Sets serve the purpose of giving viewers the build up to the drop of a song.
Tactics to Implement:
- Native Features: Artists use TikTok’s text features to help build suspense for viewers. This creates an aspect of storytelling as viewers can learn about the artist and what the crowd means to them.
- Video Length: These videos average at about 12 seconds in length.
- Invite artists to discuss or recall their first major festival moments and what it meant to them in a rapid question video series.
- Film artists behind the booth at their shows and try to focus on not only the crowd but what changes they make as they are spinning and preparing for the drop to give viewers a more intimate look at the process.
3. Techno Reaction Vlog
Reaction Vlogs invite viewers in to experience electronic music with content creators as they leave their thoughts on the table.
Tactics to Implement:
- Thought Process: These videos follow a stream of consciousness from the reacting creator.
- Video Length: These videos average at about 16 seconds in length.
- Set Up: Some creators use the split screen method to show what they’re listening to, while others will focus on themselves only while they tell a story about what they’re listening to and how they feel.
- Repurposed: These clips tend to be repurposed from Twitch as seen in this and this video.
- Audience members are watching these creators due to their charisma and energy behind reacting and sharing thoughts around music.
- Reaction vlogs are a form of music identification for many viewers and it gives them a chance to find new artists. Create a series about “Discovery” where other artists can react to up and coming names in the electronic scene in Spain.
4. Festival Production
Similar to Instagram, Festival Production videos aim to invite the viewer to experience festivals in a way that focuses on the whole picture, especially set design.
Tactics to Implement:
- Angles: This top performing video keeps a static view as it stares down on the festival with a drone to give viewers an idea of the scale and size of the experience.
- Video Length: These videos average at about 7 seconds in length.
- Use this interest as a way to set up a storytelling series about how an artist would choose to have their dream set. This can follow an artist through a day of preparing for a festival or going on a shopping trip with their team to gather props for set design.
- Give viewers an insider look into the experience of preparing for and setting up these incredible, larger than life sets.
These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
These outlier Festival Set videos include an artist building up a lot of traction for a very popular song to be mixed into his set. The artist created another version of the same video that also went viral.
This outlier features performers hanging from the ceiling and tons of objects falling down on the song drop.
How To: Production
This outlier features an artist talking about the production of a song and the elements included before taking viewers into a tutorial on how to recreate them.
This outliers shares a story about making music as guidance for producers in front of a static video of him making music.
This outlier features an intro clip with the artist that the creator will show how to replicate before diving into the tutorial.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →