TikTok South Africa Electronic Music Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize: Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes: Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark: Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Repeat For Each Platform: Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
- Identify Opportunities: Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
TikTok Content Bucket Definitions
- Live Event Snippets: Short clips that focus on varying moments with crowds and members of the audience, instead of the artists performing.
- Amapiano Dances: Dance content that is filmed to focus on one dancer as they perform and dance, specifically to Amapiano music.
- Solo Performances: Videos singularly focused on one artist performing in their respective environments, whether that be a show, in their car, or studio.
- EDM Animal Remixes: Videos that focus on a single remix done by creators that primarily use different videos of animals and their odd noises as source material for remixes.
- Popular Video Remixes: Remix videos in which creators use a trending video as the original track for a remix
- Midi Controller Performance: Creators in their studio performing parts of, or whole, EDM songs on a MIDI controller.
- Amapiano Humour: Short clips of culturally charged humour that’s contextual to the Amapiano scene.
- EDM History: Clips that showcase different historical facts around the South African EDM scene.
- Candid Crowd Shots: Videos that spend time focusing on the interaction between the crowd and artists as they perform.
- Dance Challenge: Content that focuses on short-form clips of creators trying their hand (or body) at different dance challenges.
- Remade Songs: Videos where creators recreate popular songs in various styles.
- EDM Humour: Similar to “Amapiano Humour” however, these videos focus on the context of EDM overall, instead of the sub-genre.
- Performance Highlights: Compilation-styled clips showing off the different moments from live shows, events, and artist performances.
- Dance Duets: Clips observe the fun and stylistic ways Amapiano dancers interact with each other in different circumstances.
Excellent performing content opportunities for the South African electronic audience on TikTok include:
Good performing content opportunities for the South African electronic audience on TikTok include:
Substandard performing content for the South African electronic audience on TikTok include:
Low performing content for the South African electronic audience on TikTok include:
Extreme Performing Segment:
1. Life Event Snippets
Short clips that focus on varying moments with crowds and members of the audience, instead of the artists performing.
Tactics to Implement:
- Crowd Interaction: Being that the focus of these videos is on the crowd, creators employ the use of having the crowd sing and fill in portions of the song as they perform.
- In The Moment: Clips across this content category don’t showcase a high level of production. The majority of clips showcase a very spur-of-the-moment approach to Amapiano dances.
- Capturing The Moment: These clips are almost entirely candid and caught in the moment, therefore capitalizing on the times that this environment exists is critical for the sake of authenticity.
2. Amapiano Dances
Dance content that is filmed to focus on one dancer as they perform and dance, specifically to Amapiano music.
Tactics to Implement:
- Tutorials: As seen in the video below, these short video provide a visual walkthrough of what Amapiano dancing techniques are.
- Candid: High-performing videos in this category take advantage of small candid moments happening in studio sessions where creators will break out and start dancing for a brief time.
- Authenticity: Within the Amapiano scene, dancing and music are completely intertwined with one another. Therefore, capturing impromptu dance scenes both on and off the stage is a great way to celebrate the culture while generating new content.
3. Solo Performances
This content category follows a similar style to “Solo Performances” on Instagram however possesses a few key differences with how creators edit their content.
Tactics to Implement:
- Vocal Performances: TikTok solo performances focus heavily on vocal or acapella performances by creators where they cover portions of songs or Amapiano freestyle vocals.
- Added Instruments: Occasionally, creators will add themselves playing instruments in their performances.
- Unedited: Videos in this category are exclusively unedited and shows themselves as RAW footage.
- Personal & Organic: These clips allow for a spotlight on creators within the South African EDM and Amapiano scene in a personal and accessible fashion.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →