TikTok Poland Hip-Hop Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
TikTok Content Bucket Definitions
- Rap Skit: Video format where a rapper performs back and forth to himself as different characters to portray a scenario or story.
- Prompt Freestyle: Videos that leverage raw talent from rappers as they ask for random words and must create a freestyle using all the words given.
- Topic Freestyle: These videos build expectations & intrigue for the audience to find out what an artist will freestyle about around a specific topic.
- Hip-Hop News: While an untraditional production format, it is important to note that news in the rap scene performs well due to a lack of distribution on TikTok from top performers on other platforms.
- Caller Asks: In this format, hip-hop guests receive live questions from fans through a call and must respond.
- Live Rap Battle: Live Rap Battles feature a series of artists competing against each other in front of a live audience through freestyles.
- Remix: These feature rappers re-writing the lyrics to popular songs and performing over the original beat with their own twist to the music.
- Hip-Hop & Fashion: Celebrating the intersection of hip-hop and fashion by honoring moments with rappers at streetwear retailer Grail Point in Poland.
- Music Game: A performance format by Elle Polska that invites artists on to find a song that includes a word they’ve been given.
- Acoustic Performance: Rappers performing and freestyling with no background music in the moment.
- Top 3: A short video format where rappers will be either asked to list their top 3 things within a category or asked three questions.
- Interview: Videos in this category tend to feature artists opening up about themselves more in the context of different interview formats.
- Radio Performance: Videos in this category feature artists performing their songs live on air for the radio.
Rap Skit and Prompt Freestyle are extreme performing content opportunities, averaging 3X the average view & engagement benchmark on TikTok.
Excellent performing content buckets in the Polish hip-hop space on TikTok include:
Good performing content opportunities for the Polish hip-hop audience on TikTok include:
Substandard performing content for the Polish hip-hop audience on TikTok include:
Low performing content for the Polish hip-hop audience on TikTok include:
1. Rap Skit
The TikTok hip-hop scene in Poland is ultimately led by creator Edzio who has built a following and consistently high views through a series of hip-hop content that not many others are creating.
Tactics to Implement:
- Performative: Rap Skits are so popular because of their relatable nature due to Edzio putting on a show to rap about story-based situations. In Rap Skits, Edzio performs back and forth to himself as different characters to portray a scenario or story.
- Video Length & Captions: Rap Skits tend to last about 30 seconds in length and always include captions as the shots move back and forth.
Content Opportunities: The high performance of this content category indicates that the Polish hip-hop audience on TikTok is value-based or interested in the dialogue between two sides. This can manifest as a performance format that deconstructs a rap battle where two participants go back and forth about a specific storyline or topic.
2. Prompt Freestyle
Sometimes referred to as the random word freestyle, Edzio films himself creating freestyles based on random words generated by his computer or friends.
Tactics to Implement:
- Computer or Human-Generated?: On Facebook this content format generated more average views and engagements when creators asked random people or friends to generate words for them, however on TikTok, when creators use a program to randomly generate words the videos see more success.
- Video Length: These videos tend to be a bit longer than average at just under a minute in length.
Content Opportunities: Currently no creators are leveraging the opportunity to connect with audience members by asking for prompts in the comments and then using the reply feature to respond to the prompts. Have guests perform short freestyles on Tiktok, asking for more prompt suggestions in the comments for the next guest.
3. Topic Freestyle
Edzio sees success in freestyles when he sets specific themes around the content. This builds expectations and intrigue for the audience to check out what he says around a specific topic.
Tactics to Implement:
- Two Formats: Edzio has used a formal and informal method to film this content. Sometimes he stands in front of a mic and performs while other videos are more organic where he films on the go, such as in the McDonald’s drive through in his car.
- Broad Range: The range of topics covered don’t seem to follow a pattern or particular theme, for example some creators in Europe dedicate freestyle channels to football only.
Content Opportunities: Stray away from the typical interview format by engaging rap guests to rap about themselves and their upbringing in a quick freestyle as seen in this video but in a more subtle manner.
4. Hip-Hop News
Similar to Event Recaps on Instagram, while an untraditional content format for creating hip-hop content, it is important to note that news in the rap scene performs well due to a lack of distribution on TikTok from top performers on other platforms.
For example, Mikser who has generated 2M views on Facebook from content similar to Edzio’s top performing content has not started distributing any content to TikTok.
Tactics to Implement:
- Consistent Branding: These videos on TikTok tend to be highly branded with the main point of the video written above the footage and a voice-over on top of the content.
- Video Length: These videos tend to be quick and convey information in 20 seconds.
Content Opportunities: Give artists a chance to tell their own stories by hopping on TikTok for an organic and informal opportunity to update the community about their news and updates.
Outliers:These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
Length:This viral outlier is 57 seconds in length.
Content: Similar to a viral outlier Interview on Youtube, this video features the rapper Mata who is sharing his thoughts after winning many awards at an award show.
The post-award interview is very casual and features Mata holding onto all his awards which may have led to the visual unpredictability of this interview compared to other generic interviews.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →