TikTok Germany Hip-Hop Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
1. Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
2. Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
3. Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
4. Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
5. Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
TikTok Content Bucket Definitions
- Artist Evolution: Edited videos that showcase the evolution of an artist from their first song to their most recent song.
- Beat Challenge: An artist does their best to recreate respected sounds in the hip hop industry by demonstrating their vocal cadence and flow.
- Duet Challenge: (aka duett) These challenges incorporate a collaboration form that enables artists who may never have worked together before to collaborate virtually by stitching their videos together.
- Exploring New Rap Styles: An artist exhibiting their ability to move within sub-genres of rap from old school German rap to drill.
- Finish the Lyrics: This challenge aims to push artists to finish lines from other popular songs.
- Individual Artist Sessions: Sessions where artists show up to perform in a studio with their team behind and supporting them.
- Last Bar Freestyle Prompt: TikTokers reply to existing rap videos by using the last bar another rapper laid down as the prompt for a response.
- Music Video BTS: Distributor Tunecore’s series goes behind the scenes with artists as they vlog their experiences on set.
- Newcomer Deal: A series where German rappers are played music from newcomers in the hip hop scene and they offer a ‘deal’ if they would work with them in the future.
- No Autotune Challenge: (aka ohne autotune) Videos showcasing artist talent with and without autotune.
- Rapping Comments: Artists replying to comments on their social media as freestyle raps.
- Remixing Existing Songs: Artists remixing classic songs with their own freestyles.
The hip-hop TikTok content whitespace opportunities in Germany include:
TikTok content that is the most competitive due to its popularity and high competitor saturation in the hip-hop space in Germany include:
Content to avoid due to low attention and high competitor saturation in the hip-hop space in Germany include:
Content to ignore due to low attention and low competitor saturation in the hip-hop space in Germany include:
1. Beat Challenge
Similar to on Instagram, this enables hip hop creators to show the full range of their musical abilities to an audience in a short amount of time.
Tactics to Implement:
- Introductions should be 2-5 seconds long to share exactly what the creator will be making.
- These videos are extremely organic and compile quick clips of different elements of the song making process.
- Use native TikTok features such as on screen text to introduce each new element of the song progression.
- Try to convey the creation of a song in 60 seconds or less including the reveal of the final song.
- Invite artists onto your TikTok as a way to let them explore the creation of their own or other songs. This can be repurposed across Reels as well.
- Leverage and expand this category by creating a time-based challenge for artists to re-create or make a unique spin on existing songs within a 30 second time frame.
2. No Autotune Challenge
(aka ohne autotune) The TikTok community is interested in understanding the true scale of an artists natural abilities. These videos demonstrate the difference between an artist with and without autotune.
Tactics to Implement:
- Use an organic clip that allows the viewer to focus on the title that is written in-app explaining the content of the video for 2-3 seconds.
- This content category is an under-developed format that currently only flashes back and forth between the differences in a song with and without autotune.
- Top performing videos in this category are about 20 seconds long.
- As a currently under-developed and unintimate category on TikTok, this concept has potential to bring a larger personal element to the forefront by collaborating with artists to showcase their abilities.
- As a reiteration from Facebook’s opportunity - a mini-series can help highlight invited artists to the forefront to showcase their natural abilities in a live version of this challenge. Start the video with the autotuned version and complete it with the artist live.
3. Last Bar Freestyle Prompt
TikTokers reply to existing freestyle/rap videos by using the last bar another rapper laid down as the prompt for a response.
Tactics to Implement:
- The introduction must include 5-10 seconds of the original rap up to the last bar the rapper will be responding to.
- Top performing videos in this segment are filmed relatively organically, creators have also set up specific environments like being in a barber shop with their crew in their response videos.
- Top videos in the category are about 30-40 seconds long.
- Source well-respected freestyles or bars from existing songs and highlight a specific bar for rappers to include in the beginning of their flow and incorporate a freestyle around.
- Easily serialize this content by building a platform where the final bar prompt for the next video is generated from your previous videos in the series.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →