TikTok Germany Electronic Music Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize: Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes: Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark: Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities: Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform: Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
TikTok Content Bucket Definitions
- Themed Mix: A DJ creates mixes with three songs based on very specific prompts and themes.
- Rave Culture: Celebrating the niche that is rave culture through different nods to concepts only techno music lovers would know.
- Techno Clubs: Diving into Germany's (specifically Berlin's) raging techno club scene and its impact on electronic music.
- Electronic Life: Electronic music consumers demonstrating the way techno music takes over their lives as a way to relate to others.
- Meet...: A TikTok series breaking down the inspirations and background of different electronic or electronic-inspired artists.
- Techno & Fashion: Bridging the relationship between fashion and electronic music for festivals and the club scene in Berlin.
- Studio Tour: Artists giving viewers a tour of their studio space and showing different elements of their creative zones.
- Shower Thoughts: A simple video format where an artist takes over a publisher's TikTok to share Shower Thoughts as a way to connect with an audience through stream of consciousness.
- Music History: A range of different videos featuring facts about music and technology evolution or general electronic education.
- Festival Set: Classic festival sets of artists performing with different angles either behind the DJ or from the crowd to admire the set production.
- Techno Playlists: A trend of highlighting different forms of electronic music and giving viewers the chance to access these through playlists.
- Top 5: A creator listing their top songs or artists prompted by different categories and themes.
- Unique Production Tools: Exploring unusual production tools and methods to create unique sounds for electronic music such as obsolete school equipment or natural elements like water.
- How I Made It: Artists taking viewers through their process to make some of their top or newest songs.
- Roblox: A paid category, however important to note that Electronic Beats is investing time into hosting electronic shows through Roblox.
Themed Mixes are extreme performing content opportunities, averaging 3x the average view & engagement benchmark on TikTok.
Excellent performing content for the Germany electronic music audience on TikTok include:
Good performing content for the German electronic music audience on TikTok include:
Substandard performing content for the German electronic music audience on TikTok include:
Low performing content for the German electronic music audience on TikTok include:
1. Themed Mix
A DJ creates mixes with three songs based on very specific prompts and themes.
Tactics to Implement:
- Consistent Content: The success of these videos comes from the creator’s consistency. TikTok is a platform about setting expectations and delivering quality content that meets what has been promised.
- Music Inspiration: Themed Mixes offer a level of inspiration for people to come back to. Viewers know the creator will choose three songs that speak to different categories each video. These videos can be saved and referred back to when building personal playlists, note the top performing videos have received 34.7K and 46.2K saves respectively.
Content Opportunities: Become a trusted hub for music lovers on TikTok. Partner with electronic artists to have them mix 3-5 songs based on a prompt (ie. roadtrips, pre-parties, late nights in). See how American artist What’s So Not leveraged this playlist creators platform to collaborate with her.
2. Rave Culture
Celebrating the niche that is rave culture through different nods to concepts only techno music lovers would know.
Tactics to Implement:
- Find Your Audience: Regardless of Red Bull’s interest in heavy rave culture, this category speaks to the interest and demand for niched electronic communities on TikTok.
- Music Appreciation: The electronic world expands far beyond the music itself as we’ll see in the Electronic Life category. TikTokers want to see what people are wearing, how they are dancing and what stories can come from the love of electronic music.
Content Opportunities: Since most performance-based formats for electronic music are stationary (ie. harder for a performer to move around and engage an audience like other genres), try to build a series that highlights the culture of electronic music in a way that utilizes higher production value or invite famous DJs on to rate fan fashion or rank outfits.
3. Techno Clubs
Diving into Germany's (specifically Berlin's) raging techno club scene and its impact on electronic music.
Tactics to Implement:
- Exclusivity: Berlin’s techno scene is world-renown for it’s exclusive (hard to get into) clubs like Berghain. Videos explaining the culture of these establishments including what they look like or tips to get in help provide context to the world and makes the experience more accessible to all, even if not in Germany.
- Detail: Viewers want an experience of being at these clubs without being there, whether that is an exclusive tour or the ins and outs of the scene. These videos use text on screen and captions to help guide viewers.
- The heart of all German electronic fans lie in the techno clubs of Berlin. Create a series highlighting the experiences and details of these clubs. Some events take place over 48 hours and pose a great opportunity for vlog style or follow along content.
- Another format could invite artists to share their favourite Berghain or Kit Kat Club memories & sets.
*Original top performing video (3.4M views) was recently removed from TikTok and is replaced with a similar style video to demonstrate a general idea of the original.
4. Electronic Life
Similar to Rave Culture, producers and electronic music consumers demonstrate the way techno music takes over their lives as a way to relate to others.
Tactics to Implement:
- Same Same but Different: The Electronic Life category speaks broadly to how music positively impacts day-to-day life as opposed to Rave Culture which focuses specifically on a darker theme of fashion and techno etiquette.
- Lighthearted: This form of content is more lighthearted and playful, using humour to help connect to other electronic fans in Germany that share relatable life stories.
- Celebrating the culture and energy of electronic music in Germany on TikTok is a huge area of interest for users. Electronic artists tend to post similar content of festival sets which resonates well but is harder to serialize and build on TikTok.
- Identifying a creator who can create tasteful but relatable content about electronic music in Germany will help build community, this can look like a mix of relatable content as seen in the links to the left or a playlist series.
These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
Tactic: This Techno Club outlier features a full tour inside of Berlin’s Kit Kat Club. Viewers get a detailed view of the techno scene without having to be there.
Tactic: A paid category included to demonstrate Electronic Beats’ efforts to enter the metaverse with a live Roblox festival show with German artist Boris Brejcha.
Tactic: This video demonstrates how two electronic fans spend their morning listening to electronic music and then have to be composed for a 9 am call.
Tactic: This outlier uses text and cues to display the creator’s top 5 hard and acid techno tracks. Indicating demand for electronic discovery.
Tactic: This outlier shows a festival set from behind the artist into the crowd and uses text to make their experience as an artist relatable and interesting.
Unique Production Tool
Tactic: This outlier shows a content creator using an obsolete school system for children to make a looping lo-fi beat.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →