TikTok Dance Audience Content Opportunity Analysis™ July 2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize: Analyze the Top 150 videos from the 10 creators to find content buckets that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes: Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark: Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities: Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform: Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
TikTok Content Bucket Definitions
- Duo Routine: Similar to the Singles Routine, but showcases the same elements with 2 dancers in a variety of performances.
- Dance Challenge: Clips in this category showcase dancers trying their hand (literally) at different stylistic challenges.
- Single Dancer Focus: Not to be confused with the Singles Routine theme, these videos focus on a specified dancer within a routine, performance, or battle.
- Artistic Routines: Compelling and passionate routines that lend themselves to Street Dance, but with a strong personal touch.
- Couples Dancing: Wholesome and fun videos showing couples and partners getting down together.
- Group Routine: Similar to the Singles Routine, but showcases the same elements within a group of 3+ dancers.
- Singles Routine: Videos in this category focus purely on one singular dancer’s routine from competitions, groups, or simply at home.
- Dance Battle Replies: Videos that specifically highlight the replies and rebuttals to dancers within varying battles.
- Dance Tutorials: Helpful and informative videos where users can learn how to dance in their favorite styles.
Top performing content opportunities in the Street Dance space that had the highest views & engagement rate on TikTok include:
Good performing content opportunities for Street Dance audience on TikTok include:
Substandard performing content for the Street Dance audience on TikTok include:
Low performing content for the Street Dance audience on TikTok include:
1. Duo Routine
Double Trouble: Clips highlight Street Dance routines where two different dancers use different style combinations and camera work in their routine.
Tactics to Implement:
- Symmetry: A opportunity that’s afforded to singles or duo routines is the ability to focus on precise and complimentary movements, relative to group routines focused on consistency across each member.
- Different Flavors: An interesting tactic seen in the video on the left is the use of the same setting in each video but substituting the collaborating dancers to have users enjoy their favourite creator(s) but with varying personalization from other dancers.
- Length: 0:30 & 0:12
- Hashtags: 3 & 2
2. Dance Challenge
Are You Up To The Challenge?: Clips in this category showcase dancers trying their hand (literally) at different stylistic challenges. For example, on the left, dancers did an isolating routine with the hashtag “#floatingcasechallenge”.
Tactics to Implement:
- Public Intrigue: High performing videos within this category showed the dancer engaging in a public area where spectators could see the skill required for the challenge.
- Varying Challenges: As seen in the video on the right, different challenges are done by dancers to create variety among the intrigue that comes with challenging a dancer.
- Length: 0:24 & 0:30
- Hashtags: 3 & 3
3. Single Dancer Focus
Dancers In The Spotlight: Not to be confused with the Singles Routine theme, these videos focus on a specified dancer within a routine, performance, or battle.
Tactics to Implement:
- Camera Focus: A core component of these clips is how the camera focuses, and follows, the highlighted dancer. Although subtle, it drives the user’s focus.
- Among The Crowd: Another key differentiator within this category is how in each video, a crowd is shown but never in a way that obstructs the highlighted dancer. In some cases, the dancer quickly engages with the spectating crowd showing the friendly and fun nature of the street dance community.
- Length: 0:35 & 0:16
- Hashtags: 3 & 1
These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
Single Move Highlight
Tactics: Videos within this outlying category focus on the simple and pure examples of massive moves done within competitions, battles, and routines. Each move comes with its own amount of respect and interest to the viewer.
Length: Less than 10 seconds.
Tactics: Although the videos can vary from the serious attitude of kids owning their energy to a more funny and wholesome occurrence, these videos focus on kids across that spectrum and how they dance.
Length: Less than 10-20 seconds.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →