TikTok Biking Content Opportunity Analysis™ Q2 2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
TikTok Content Bucket Definitions
- Caring For Your Bike: Videos deliver interesting and helpful how-to tutorials for bike maintenance along with guides for what to look out for when taking care of your lovely steed.
- Biking Humour: Short and light-hearted clips that make fun of all the small and funny encounters someone would have while mountain biking.
- Unexpected Landscapes: Posts feature surprisingly varied landscapes in which riders perform trials, downhill mountain biking, and other styles
- Downhill Cornering: Short-form clips of downhill mountain bikers hitting particularly narrow and sharp corners at breakneck speeds.
- Behind The Scenes: Clips show what life is like off the bike and what happens behind the rider at race events.
- Flatland Tricks: Tricks performed on a variety of bikes where the only feature a rider has to work with is flat ground itself.
- Downhill Tricks: Riders performing specific tricks on their downhill mountain biking runs.
- Crossing The Finish Line: Videos capturing that the pain staking finish but spectacular moment of finishing a long arduous race.
- Downhill POV: Point of view videos capturing the different runs and tricks done by downhill mountain riders.
- Downhill Action: Pure and high adrenaline downhill action, typically captured in a single clip or montage style format.
- Trials Biking: Clips showing off the technical prowess required in Trials biking, typically filmed across different urban landscapes with interesting features.
- Biking Experience: Videos of riders sharing their experiences and struggles within each video.
Content buckets that had the highest average number of views & engagement in the Bike space on TikTok include:
Good performing content opportunities in the Bike space on TikTok include:
Substandard performing content opportunities for Bike space on TikTok include:
Low performing content opportunities for the Bike space on TikTok include:
1. Caring For Your Bike
Take Care of Yourself & Your Bike. Videos deliver interesting and helpful how-to tutorials for bike maintenance along with guides for what to look out for when taking care of your lovely steed.
Tactics to Implement:
- Answers Before They Ask: High performing videos looked for content topics and questions to answer without having to receive feedback from the community.
- Embrace the DIY: Other videos in this category realize that bikers may not always have access to a bike tech or shop, so creating guides on how to DIY easy maintenance gripped viewers attention.
- Video Duration: 0:13 & 0:41
- # of Hashtags: 9 & 8
2. Biking Humour
Keep it Light, Keep it Funny. Short and light-hearted clips that make fun of all the small and funny encounters someone would have while mountain biking. Often, these are candid moments of catching riders without their racing face on.
Tactics to Implement:
- Catching The Moment: In an action sport such as biking, It’s easy to focus too heavily on catching the huge moments. However, this category showcases to the other side of riders simply having fun.
- Sound On: Videos take full advantage of trending audio clips, like the video on the left, by throwing their own twist on what the audio is actually saying.
- Video Duration: 0:06 & 0:06
- # of Hashtags: 0 & 0
3. Unexpected Landscapes
Expectations = Subverted. Posts feature surprisingly varied landscapes in which riders perform trials, downhill mountain biking, and other styles.
Tactics to Implement:
- Subversion: A common expectation when watching mountain biking content that it’s done in the mountains, therefore these clips throw the viewer for a loop showing said varied landscapes.
- Still Technical: Even with expectations subverted, these clips showcase riders performing technical tricks with styles in accordance to the each landscape.
- Video Duration: 0:07 & 0:06 seconds
- # of Hashtags: 0 & 3
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →