Instagram Spain Electronic Music Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
Instagram Content Bucket Definitions
- Festival Production: Videos that demonstrate the level of set design and production behind electronic music festivals.
- Techno Humour: Poking fun and sharing funny or relatable content in the techno scene that fellow listeners would appreciate.
- Festival Set: Classic festival sets of artists performing with different angles behind the DJ to admire the masses.
- Electronic Event Recap: Snapshots and videos that give a quick synopsis of different events.
- Live Club Performance: Footage of artists performing in more intimate club settings where audience members are closer to the performer.
- Home Sessions: Artists take viewers into their homes for mix streams that can be played anytime for a quick playlist.
- Techno Dancers: Highlighting and celebrating techno dancers in their element.
- Family & Music: Musicians share moments with family through music such as teaching a child how to DJ.
- Jam Session: An improvised DJ session where an artist makes the most of mixing in the moment.
- Unique Location Mix: Creators performing in intriguing locations such as in their kitchen or on a mountain range.
- Unique Production Elements: Highlighting different ways creators make music such as sampling and mixing viral videos into a beat.
- TBT: Honouring old moments in the electronic and production scenes.
- Back2Back: A B2B performance where two DJs are given a space to perform in collaboration with each other on the same equipment.
Festival Production is an extreme performing content opportunity, averaging 3x the average view & engagement benchmark on Instagram.
Excellent performing content categories for the Spanish Electronic Music space on Instagram include:
Good performing content for the Spanish Electronic Music Audience on Instagram include:
Substandard performing content for the Spanish Electronic Music Audience on Instagram include:
Low performing content for the Spanish Electronic Music Audience on Instagram include:
1. Festival Production
These videos aim to engage viewers in the spectacle of well designed sets for out of this world festivals. This content is also on TikTok.
Tactics to Implement:
- The Spectacle: These videos perform so well because of the big show of set design and unique creations they bring to the table.
- Community: Not only do these videos speak to set design, they speak to the enjoyment of a large group of people together as one, listening to the same music.
- Scale: These videos are dynamic, top performing production videos feature Cirque Du Soleil-type performers at the front of the stage, plus confetti and light changes.
- While not a traditional content production method, partner with festivals and build a series where unique Red Bull decorations are placed throughout the scene of a festival, encouraging viewers to point out the wing inspired set design.
- Videos like this have also performed well where BTS footage of set production is shared. Consider sharing b-roll footage from serialized content.
2. Techno Humour
Traditionally in the form of memes, Techno Humour on Instagram aims to shed light on relatable moments for techno listeners and festival goers. This content is also on Facebook.
Tactics to Implement:
- Relatability: Often artists and festivals will publish humour-based videos to connect with their audience. Artist Fatima Hajji incorporates humour into her videos as a way to take her followers along as she travels for different shows and performances.
- Personality: Sharing this form of content enables viewers to understand that a publisher or artist isn’t too serious and can have a laugh.
- While Red Bull will most likely not be sharing or producing memes, a series could be produced that involves viral content. Invite electronic artists in to take viral humour-based content and transform it into a completely unrecognizable song. This will give exposure to the video from using already trending content & leverages the viewer’s interest in seeing something made from nothing.
3. Festival Set
The classic Festival Set has seen success on Facebook and TikTok. These videos give artists and festivals the chance to share snippets of their performances.
Tactics to Implement:
- Moments: Unlike on Facebook, where these videos tend to be longer streams of about an hour, Instagram Reels for festival sets tend to be short and sweet at less than 60 seconds.
- Behind the Booth: These videos tend to focus on representing the artist from behind the booth. Elevate intricate moments with the artist as they master their deck and offer unique drops.
- Consider starting a series that puts artists on the spot to recreate festival drop moments in a serialized setting. Call it the ‘Practice Booth’ and give artists a chance to walk viewers through their thought process as they prepare drops and mixes for larger festivals and performances.
4. Electronic Event Recap
Recap footage focuses on sharing quick moments throughout the day to share events in a low effort manner that gives visual insight for viewers.
Tactics to Implement:
- Quick Clips: These videos tend to be less than 60 seconds in length and aim to capture many moments in a short amount of time.
- Leverage Trends: Clips can be compiled to match the beat of any audio being used.
- In Spain, there are not many publishers giving space to original content in the electronic scene. A report by Remezcal distinguishes the ‘underground’ nature of the electronic scene in Spain, attributing most of the action in the scene as confined to amazing nightlife and festivals.
- The report states that younger artists are looking to distinguish themselves and their music style. Using tasteful recaps of Red Bull sponsored events may elevate a platform so that more space can be provided to give artists a chance for expression.
These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
This video is about one minute in length.
This outlier uses a screen-in-screen method where the creator is shown on the bottom and his screen set up is shown on the other side. The creator takes viewers through the process of playing around and mastering different kicks in production.
Single Format Performance
This video is about 15 seconds in length.
This Single Format Performance outlier focuses on a quick clip of an artist setting up a drop. The camera flips through many different angles within the quick 15 second period to keep the viewer engaged and alert.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →