Instagram Poland Hip-Hop Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
Instagram Content Bucket Definitions
- Music Game: A performance format by Elle Polska that invites artists on to find a song that includes a word they’ve been given.
- Rap & Cognac: An interview format created by Hennessy in which artists receive a cocktail and rate it while answering questions chosen at random.
- Interview: While interviews are common across any platform, publishers tend to favour them over other content they publish on Instagram.
- Event Recap: While not a typical content category, it is important to note that Event Recaps and general sharing of moments with rappers are performing well on Instagram.
- Topic Freestyle: These videos build expectations & intrigue for the audience to find out what an artist will freestyle about around a specific topic.
- Radio Performance: Videos in this category feature artists performing their songs live on air for the radio.
- #hot16challenge2: Creators have 72 hours to write 16 bars and film it, nominating 4 others to complete the challenge in the process.
- Caller Asks: In this format, hip-hop guests receive live questions from fans through a call and must respond.
- Radio Freestyle: Similar to Radio Performances, this content category sees rappers performing freestyles on air.
- Diss of the Day: Top rap battle producer WBW only posts short disses from battles as opposed to longer battle videos on Instagram.
- Prompt Freestyle: Videos that leverage raw talent from rappers as they ask for random words on the spot and must create a freestyle using all the words given.
Content buckets that had the highest average views & engagement in the Polish hip-hop space on Instagram include:
Good performing content opportunities for the Polish hip-hop audience on Instagram include:
Substandard performing content for the Polish hip-hop audience on Instagram include:
Low performing content for the Polish hip-hop audience on Instagram include:
1. Music Game
Music Game is a performance format by Elle Polska that invites artists on to find a song that includes a word they’ve been given within a specific time.
Tactics to Implement:
- The Challenge: While Elle Polska doesn’t always focus on the most hip-hop oriented artists for their platform, they are one of the few publishers consistently producing a challenge format that is self-created and unsponsored.
- Introductions: Videos always contain the artist introducing themselves as well as the game within 10 seconds.
- Similar to a content category in the German hip-hop landscape called “Song Association”, this format helps audience members understand the inspirations and interests of their favourite artists based on their ability to quickly answer questions with songs that are just off the top of their heads.
- There is an opportunity to build a more dynamic setting for this challenge and orient it to hip-hop by prompting guests with a beat and seeing if they can identify songs using it.
2. Rap & Cognac
Rap & Cognac is an interview format created by Hennessy in which artists receive a cocktail and rate it while answering questions chosen at random.
Tactics to Implement:
- Instagram & Polish Rap: Instagram ranks as the #3 app for Android devices in Poland* with about 11.9M total users as of June 2022 (35% between the ages of 18-24 years old). Regardless, there is an extreme lack of activity on Instagram from hip-hop publishers. Opposed to YouTube that hosts many different game and challenge formats, these publishers are not repurposing this content on Instagram.
- Rap & Cognac which was distributed by PopKillerTV and CGM on YouTube is not distributed by those creators on Instagram but instead by artists featured themselves.
Content Opportunities: Most hip-hop publishers on Instagram are not leveraging the Reels format which tends to circulate widely compared to video posts.
While interviews are common across any platform, publishers tend to favour them over other content they produce on Instagram.
Publishers like newonce who have many different formats and live performances do not tend to share content other than interviews on Instagram.
Tactics to Implement:
- Branded Captions: newonce builds in captions that keep the video feeling clean and on brand.
- Settings: Sprite launched an interview series called “Let’s Be Clear” that is not distributed on their own account on Instagram but through content creator (and the host of the interviews) Krzysztof Gonciarz. Opposed to the generic and frequent radio setting, Sprite scouted a calming green space to host their interviews in.
Content Opportunities: The trend of sharing interviews over other forms of content produced by publishers leaves a white space for publishers to start sharing more dynamic and engaging content on the platform.
4. Event Recap
While not a typical content category, it is important to note that Event Recaps and the general sharing of moments with rappers is being posted on Instagram.
Tactics to Implement:
- Behind the Scenes Moments: Whenever rappers visit media outlets or radios with surprises, content is captured such as when Kizo brought his new pizza product to newonce radio.
- Rap Rising: With rap continually rising in the charts for Poland, fans are eager to see as much content as possible for their favourite artists.
- This video is the same event as the title image on this presentation. The level of fandom and people gathered at Mata’s performance is impressive for an unsuspecting hip-hop country. Traditional rap concepts like mosh pits are being adopted and used to the fullest extend.
- There is a lack of producers creating high quality backstage or behind the scenes event content for rap fans, making it an opportunity to explore for potential Red Bull sponsored rap events.
Outliers:These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
Length: This outlier is about 23 seconds in length.
Content : A short snippet from a longer interview from Sprite’s ‘Let’s Be Clear’ series hosted by content creator Krzysztof Gonciarz.
The camera motions quickly back and forth between speakers and uses different ranges throughout the clip to switch up who is in view at any given moment.
Length: This outlier is about 60 seconds in length.
Visual Style: Similar to the viral outlier on YouTube for Radio Freestyles, this video features Quebonafide performing a freestyle on air with a very awkward and shy demeanour.
A vintage style camcorder effect is used to demonstrate an informal and almost ‘voyeur’ concept to the video as the viewer feels that they are secretly watching him perform as he makes no eye contact with the camera.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →