Instagram Japan Electronic Music Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities, Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
Instagram Content Bucket Definitions
- VR DJing: Metaverse performances using virtual reality DJing applications and software.
- Modular Synth Mix: Videos featuring artists mixing with a modular synthesizer.
- Mini Mix Routine: Videos of DJs performing a short mix.
- Studio Session: Videos take viewers into artists' studios and offer insights into their processes.
- Stream Clip: Clips from a complete routine which was streamed for online viewers.
- Live Performance Clip: Various footage taken from a live festival or performance.
- LoFi Ambient Beats: Videos of artists creating lofi ambient beats in their studios.
- Mix + Dance: Electronic artists creating music in collaboration with a contemporary dancer.
- MIDI-reactive Audiovisual Performance: Performances using Pure Data / GEM and tutolials to create a visualizer performance.
- Aftermovie: Professionally shot and edited videos that recap a festival/performance accompanied by music.
- Unique Raves: Videos showcase unusual or secret ways people experience electronic music and performances.
- DJ Set + Interview: Videos include a performance mix and an interview with the performing artist.
VR DJing is an extreme performing content opportunity, averaging 3X the views & engagement rate on Instagram.
Excellent performing content opportunities for the Japanese electronic music audience on Instagram include:
Good performing content for the Japanese electronic music audience on Instagram include:
Substandard performing content for the Japanese electronic music audience on Instagram include:
Low performing content for the Japanese electronic music audience on Instagram include:
Extreme Performing Segment:
Metaverse performances using virtual reality DJing applications and software. Top videos featured four DJs playing B2B and hello.hato mixing Drum’n’Bass.
Tactics to Implement:
- Metaverse: We have seen the rise of VR DJing with big EDM names like David Guetta hosting performances in the metaverse. Tribe XR is a virtual reality DJ studio and school where DJs can perform in the metaverse on industry-standard equipment.
- Video Format: Both top performing videos were 1:1 and just under 1 minute in length.
- Embrace the possibilities of VR and Web3. Many brands are partnering with top artists to perform concerts or shows in the metaverse. Look to host or sponsor metaverse events and elevate Japanese artists to reach a global audience.
1. Modular Synth Mix
Top videos were shared by the Japanese DJ and music producer Satoshi Tomiie and feature him performing live house mixes with a complex modular synthesizer.
Tactics to Implement:
- Reels: Of the top 10 performing videos, 7 were Instagram reels. Reels are a frontier for organic reach on Instagram, and they allow you to grow your followers and engagement rate.
- Sneak Peek: In the video below, Satoshi Tomiie gives us a sneak peek of his upcoming performance at club JOULE while he practices his routine.
- Close Up Footage: The two videos were shot at a close angle so that viewers can see how Satoshi Tomiie mixes.
- Get close to artists in their element. Share behind the scenes footage of them producing music in their studios or practicing for upcoming shows.
2. Mini Mix Routine
Videos of DJs performing a short mix. Top videos were shared by Pioneer DJ’s global account and featured mynames_joshua mixing with an impressive home set up and Red Bull 3style Poland DJ Champ, 69beats remixing on the DDJ-FLX6.
Tactics to Implement:
- Finger Drumming: This content bucket features videos of artists showing off their finger drumming skills in a way that transforms their MIDI pad controllers into fully-fledged instruments.
- Birds-Eye View: The video below switches between shots taken from the side and shots taken from a birds eye view of the controller. By doing this, viewers get an up close look at the DJs mixing skills.
- Though Pioneer is based in Japan, its global account focuses primarily on North American or European artists. Pioneer’s regional account for Japan on Instagram has a limited following and lacks post consistency. Showcase the mixing skills and impressive techniques of some of Japan’s finest DJs, providing them with a space to show off their talents.
*Pioneer DJ Global is based in Japan according to Geofilters on Tubular
These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
Content: Ultra Japan’s 2019 official Aftermovie featured various clips from the performance accompanied by music. This video was also a outlier on Twitter.
LoFi Ambient Beats
Lengths: 0:37, 0:35 & 0:25
Content: In the first video, tybo_ambientsky creates ambient textures with an acoustic guitar loop. In the second, he creates a beat with an old cassette tape. In the third he uses KORG SQ-1 and features the skyline to complement the mix.
Modular Synth Mix
Content: Satoshi_tomiie shares a mix using a modular synthesizer while prepping for a live set.
MIDI-Reactive Audiovisual Performance
Lengths: 1:30, 0:47 & 2:59
Content: Suiteru is a MIDI-Reactive Audiovisual performer, which means he uses a sequencer to sequence not only the sound but also visuals at the same time. His video setups include a screen and a MIDI controller.
Mini Mix Routine
Content: Pioneer DJ Global shared a clip from DJ EZ’s exclusive set.
Lengths: 0:29 & 0:15
Content: Satoshi_tomiie shared a clip from his festival modular setup debut in Italy. The footage showcased his performance, the crowd and a beautiful sunset. The second video is taken behind the decks with Selena Faider at Defected Croatia.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →