Instagram Italy Electronic Music Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize: Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes: Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark: Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities: Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform: Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
Instagram Content Bucket Definitions
- Live Mashups: Live Mashups where DJs will take multiple tracks and tastefully mix through their most prominent elements live or on camera.
- Mashup Challenge: Similar to Live mashups and Premade mashups, however this content focuses on user submitted examples that challenges content creators to recreate said example through a variety of mashups.
- Acoustic Remakes: Popular songs by EDM artists are covered in either small or complete forms through acoustic instrument(s).
- Remade Songs: This category focuses on artists taking a known song or sample and reimagining it, through various styles of production, into a new genre.
- EDM Dances: Various clips from fans of EDM showing off their dance moves to a variety of EDM tracks.
- Unique Location Mix: Relative to the typical mix that’s either filmed live or in a curated studio, these mixes focus on beautiful and remote vistas in combination with live instrument elements to create a very authentic EDM mix.
- MIDI Controller Performance: Videos that focus on a content creator recreating or performing parts of songs on a MIDI controller.
- Pre-made Mashups: As opposed to “Live Mashups” these are mashups pre-recorded and typically done inside a production environment as opposed to live in front of a camera or crowd.
- Behind The Scenes: Short clips showcasing a variety of content of artists personal lives and details behind their production.
- Styled Remix: Although similar to “Remade Songs” this content is purely focused on the remix of a song with its existing parts, as opposed to creating entirely new production for the song.
Live Mashups is a extreme performing content opportunities, averaging 3X the benchmark rate on Instagram.
Excellent performing content opportunities for the Italian electronic music audience on Instagram include:
Good performing content opportunities for the Italian electronic music audience on Instagram include:
Substandard performing content for the Italian electronic music audience on Instagram include:
Low performing content for the Italian electronic music audience on Instagram include:
Extreme Performing Segment:
1. Live Mashups
Live Mashups where DJs will take multiple tracks and tastefully mix through their most prominent elements live or on camera.
Tactics to Implement:
- Positive Association: Nearly every video in this category focuses on quantity over quality. High performers would typically see 2 to 3 songs being mixed with each other over a short time period.
- The Old & The New: A subtle but consistent theme to these clips is where newer trending songs are mixed with iconic classics reinforcing the factor of positive associations. A positive multiplied by a positive = more positives.
- Length: 0:30 & 0:30
- Hashtags: 4 & 11
2. Mashup Challenge
Similar to Live mashups and Premade mashups, however this content focuses on user submitted examples that challenges content creators to recreate said example through a variety of mashups.
Tactics to Implement:
- User Interaction: Viewers get to form a sense of community and engagement with creators by having the ability to submit different challenges.
- Up To The Challenge: Although a subtle theme, an additional attractive factor to seeing content creators overcome the challenges thrown at them by their community.
- Positive Association: As stated previously, viewers tend to engage more with content that offers the same thing with slight twists, and this style is essentially that concept taken further.
- Encourage viewers to engage on posts by commenting on potential mash ups and challenges in which artists can take place. This allows content creators to use the Instagram Reply feature for Reels to show the platform it's invested in its native features.
3. Acoustic Remakes
Popular songs by EDM artists are covered in either small or complete forms through acoustic instrument(s).
Tactics to Implement:
- Intimate: The production style of EDM is typically suited for atmospheres like a club or rave. This format of content flips the formula to still deliver the same music viewers enjoy but in an entirely different and approachable form.
- Different Audiences: Using the last tactic as context, approaching the same music in an entirely different format accesses new audiences that may not typically be interested in EDM music.
- Recreating Songs with varying instruments is an additional interesting variable to this style of content as well. As seen in the video below with a Golden Hand Pan being used.
These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
Content: This viral clip shows a DJ performing a three-way live mashup.
MIDI Controller Performance
Content: This viral clips shows a creator using his MIDI controller in tandem with a funny clip.
Content: This viral clip pokes fun at an older generation of rave culture along with its dancing.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-on-Demand →