Instagram Germany Hip-Hop Content Opportunity Analysis™ Q1 2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
1. Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
2. Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
3. Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
4. Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
5. Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
Instagram Content Bucket Definitions
- Beat Challenge: An artist does their best to recreate respected sounds in the hip hop industry by demonstrating their vocal cadence and flow.
- Beat the Beat: Rappers are challenged to test their flow on fast-paced beats to see if they can ‘beat the beat’.
- Duet Challenge: (aka duett) These challenges incorporate a collaboration form that enables artists who may never have worked together before to collaborate virtually by stitching their videos together.
- Finishing Lines Challenge: This challenge aims to remind artists of their older work and see if they are able to finish a song being played out from their early career.
- Freestyling Behind The Wheel: Rappers freestyling in the comfort of their cars.
- Freestyling Rap Battle: A freestyle form of battle rap presented on a stage for a live audience.
- Krone Karaoke: Artists are invited to participate in a series to see who the karaoke winner will be.
- MTV Push: MTV creates a studio space for local artists to perform and talk about their work.
- Punchline Quiz: Artists are given the punchline of a song from another artist and must guess correctly who the artist is from three choices.
- Question Carousel: Carousels add an element of surprise where multiple potential challenge/question options may be selected but only one is chosen by random selection and from fans directly submitting prompts via video.
- Rapping Nursery Rhymes: Artists aim to introduce their style into a nursery rhyme/children’s book story. A similar challenge was seen with rappers in the United States as well.
- Song Association: A challenge where artists are given one word and they must think of a song representing that word.
- The Cook Up: Producers take viewers behind the creation of their biggest beats in German rap.
The hip-hop Instagram content whitespace opportunities in Germany include:
Instagram content that is the most competitive due to its popularity and high competitor saturation in the hip-hop space in Germany include:
Content to avoid due to low attention and high competitor saturation in the hip-hop space in Germany include:
Content to ignore due to low attention and low competitor saturation in the hip-hop space in Germany include:
1. Beat Challenge
An artist does their best to recreate classic and respected sounds in the hip hop industry by demonstrating their vocal cadence and flow.
Tactics to Implement:
- Uses a quick introduction (less than 10 seconds) with details providing whose sound will be broken down.
- Raw screen recordings and individual clips are used to represent the deconstruction of a song. From ad libs to bars, the build of these elements should be included to tie together the final presentation of the song.
- Video should be able to communicate the process in 90-180 seconds to hold short attention spans.
- Success in this content bucket comes from audience interest in the process behind a finished product.
- Give your audience a chance to connect with artists on a deeper level through a serialized version of deconstructing an artist’s top hits.
- If the artists you want to showcase don’t self produce or have strong producer associations (think Playboi Carti & Pi’erre Bourne), invite them to explore their lyrical process behind a song (ie. ad libs, bridges, chorus progressions).
2. Duet Challenge
Duet (aka duett) challenges incorporate a collaboration form that enables artists who may never have worked together before to collaborate virtually.
Tactics to Implement:
- Introductions should be used to clearly invite viewers to participate on a track being proposed by the creator.
- One form of duets on Instagram come from Instagram Lives where two artists will collaborate in real time. The other form uses the stitch feature where artists can record a reply at a later date. Using native features like Instagram Live or Reels to display this content is recommended for higher performance.
- Captions or text on screen is pivotal to explain what the purpose of the video is. Instagram Live reposts should describe why two artists are collaborating and TikTok reposts or Reel creations should use on-screen text to explain how the challenge works.
- Give larger artists the opportunity to start a duet challenge on Red Bull’s social channels.
- Application: 1. Artist freestyles and leaves gaps for someone to respond 2. Artist performs half of their content live and leaves lyrics on screen for replies.
3. Question Carousel
These videos add an element of surprise where multiple potential challenge/question options may be selected when an artist presses a button, but only one is chosen by random selection and from fans directly submitting prompts via video.
Tactics to Implement:
- These videos tend to cut straight to the challenge and do not include a general intro, but do include longer captions that summarize the video contents.
- Animation is included to make the carousel look futuristic and more engaging for the viewer.
- Videos that performed the highest were less than 2 minutes, while lower performing videos ranged from 2:30-4+ minutes.
- Question carousels can enable each video to be themed with potential challenges that an artist may have to face related to their artistry.
- Question carousels incorporate a specific challenge format that can be easily applied and hosted on Red Bull’s music platforms.
- Instead of utilizing a fan-forward interview format, this carousel can be repurposed to fans sending in videos themed around giving their favourite artists three words to freestyle with or a beat to freestyle on.
4. Finishing Lines Challenge
This challenge aims to remind artists of their older works and see if they are able to follow along and finish a song being played out from their early career.
Tactics to Implement:
- These videos are often repurposed from longer YouTube videos and feature no overt introduction.
- Text is always used on the top edges of the videos to quickly state the artist and the video theme.
- These videos cut to the most interesting part of the challenge, usually where an artist is successfully remembering or failing to finish their own lines.
- Aim to keep these challenge excerpts to less than 60 seconds as a way to tease a longer-form video.
- Invoke reminiscence with artists and their fan base by inviting participants with niche or loyal audiences to not only watch if the artist can finish their own lines, but to see if their audience can finish the lines as well.
- Think about ways in which you can activate your guests to address their evolution as an artist, for example playing their old beats and having them freestyle on it now as the artists they have become.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →