Facebook Spain Hip-Hop Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
Facebook Content Bucket Definitions
- Rap Battle Performance: A performance style where artists pair up against each other to compete through freestyles in a series of segments in front of a live audience.
- Themed Battle: A segment of live rap battle showcases where rappers are given a prompt of a specific theme and must freestyle within that prompt or genre.
- 10 Things: A segment hosted by GQ where artists are prompted to share their top 10 essential items they can’t live without.
- Punchline Challenge: Rap Battle videos that highlight the best punchlines from different segments of a challenge by various artists.
- Cypher: Within one continuous song, three or more rappers take turns performing their verse until they pass it off to the next artist.
- Random Mode: A segment in Rap Battles where a box of objects are presented and rappers must randomly grab and rap about their chosen object.
- 60 Second Freestyle: A Rap Battle segment where an artist has 60 seconds to complete a freestyle in front of a live audience.
- Freestyle Word Prompt: A segment in Rap Battles where random words are given to contestants on the screen to freestyle with.
- Double Speed Challenge: A feature of several rap battles that forces artists to perform at 2 times the speed as their usual flow.
- Interview: Long form content where artists get a chance to sit down and connect with their interviewer and audience to offer insight into their lives.
- Responding to Comments: A format where artists sit down to read negative comments about them online and respond.
- Questionnaire of Life: Noisey’s Questionnaire of Life that addresses different categories of an artists life in a questionnaire format.
Content buckets that had the highest average views & engagement in the Spain hip-hop space include:
Good performing content opportunities for the Spain hip-hop audience on Facebook include:
Substandard performing content opportunities for the Spain hip-hop audience on Facebook include:
Low performing content opportunities for the Spain hip-hop audience on Facebook include:
1. Rap Battle Performance
Rap Battles are a performance style where artists pair up against each other to compete in a series of segments with different prompts in front of a live audience.
Tactics to Implement:
- Video Length: Videos in this segment tend to average at about 3 minutes and 30 seconds as opposed to its counterpart on YouTube which sees the most success in videos that are 30 minutes.
- Specific Moments over Entirety: Due to the shorter video length on Facebook, rap battle videos feature very specific moments from longer battles as opposed to compilations or full battles.
Content Opportunities: Create a spin off of the traditional rap battle format that pushes artists to perform without the sense of sight. Emotion from rap battles comes from knowing and seeing your opponent in front of you, try remaining and scenario where opponents are in a controlled setting but can’t see each other until the end by performing on two sides of a wall.
2. Themed Battle
Themed Battles are a segment of longer live rap battle showcases where rappers are given a prompt of a specific theme and must freestyle within that genre.
Tactics to Implement:
- This or That: Themed rap battles give opponents the opportunity to showcase their knowledge and interests through their views while battling to convince the audience that one topic is better than the other. For example this battle features two rappers battling over Eminem and Mac Miller.
- Video Length: Top performing videos in this category range from 1-2.5 minutes in length.
Content Opportunities: Currently, heavily themed content prompts are respective to live rap battle footage. There is a hole in the Spain hip-hop market of content that challenges artists in a static, controlled environment. Use themed prompts to challenge an artist on their own or invite multiple artists in to freestyle with or against each other.
3. 10 Things
10 Things is a segment hosted by GQ where artists are prompted to share their top 10 essential items they can’t live without.
Tactics to Implement:
- What’s Important: The 10 Things video format gives viewers insight into the top elements of each artist’s life and what they use on the daily.
- Video Length & Introductions: These videos range from 7-10 minutes and generally feature short introductions with a captivating moment from the video before jumping into the first clip.
- Take a perspective that highlights what is important to artists in the studio or as they write music to bring a unique spin to this video format.
- A series that focuses on an ‘artist rider’* could be a great way to bring a bit of backstage to the front for fans and viewers. ‘What would be on your rider?’ should focus on the specific snacks, drinks, and other items and accommodations and artist would request before performing.
Viral Videos: These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
Double Speed Challenge
Caption: The description promises ‘good flows’ right away so that the viewer knows what to expect.
Length: This video is about 5 minutes long and focuses only on one moment within a larger battle as opposed to a series of compilations.
Length: This video ranges at about 18 minutes in length.
Content: When it comes to punchlines, reactions are everything. This video compiles the best punchlines of 2019/2020 season with loud and action packed reactions from the MC and audience.
Responding to Comments
Orientation: This video has a vertical orientation as opposed to the traditional horizontal Facebook uploads.
Introduction: The start of this video features a colourful and chaotic intro that opens the audience up to the personality of the guest.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-on-Demand →