Facebook Germany Hip-Hop Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
1. Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
2. Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
3. Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
4. Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
5. Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
Facebook Content Bucket Definitions
- <1 Minute Freestyling: Videos that showcase a rapper’s talent with a freestyle lasting up to one minute in length.
- Acapella Rap Battle: Rap battles with large audiences where artists must perform with no beat behind them.
- Daily Rap Up: A series by a radio host who wraps up his daily topics into a rap - can be easily repurposed as a theme/topic based freestyle prompt.
- Freestylemania: A freestyle battle rap series presented on a stage for a live audience.
- Guess The Rap Song: A fan-forward quiz platform that invites everyday people to guess who the rapper is based on prompts.
- Hotbox Series: Interview series where artists enter the ‘Hotbox’ (a pop culture reference) to freestyle on existing beats & participate in challenges.
- No Autotune Challenge: (aka ohne autotune) Videos showcasing artist talent without autotune.
- One Shot Session: A rapper and producer have six hours to produce a song together from scratch in a studio session.
- Personalized Rap Message: A series where listeners request personalized rap messages to be aired for their friends and family.
- Punchline Quiz: Artists are given the punchline of a song from another artist and must guess correctly who the artist is from three choices.
- The Cook Up: Producers take viewers behind the creation of their biggest beats in German rap.
- What's In Your Playlist?: A series where artists share what they are currently listening to and how it impacts or inspires them.
The hip-hop Facebook content whitespace opportunities in Germany include:
Facebook content that is the most competitive due to its popularity and high competitor saturation in the hip-hop space in Germany include:
Content to avoid due to low attention and high competitor saturation in the hip-hop space in Germany include:
Content to ignore due to low attention and low competitor saturation in the hip-hop space in Germany include:
1. <1 Minute Freestyle
These are videos that showcase a rapper’s talent with a freestyle lasting up to one minute in length.
Tactics to Implement:
- Because the artists are rapping within a one minute timeframe, there is no introduction and the freestyle starts immediately.
- The content is filmed very casually in selfie mode with the camera held in hand or propped up so that the artist can include any hand movements or personality as needed.
- Creating time-based challenges for artists to complete a task in is an easy way to compile content for Facebook and to repurpose across platforms.
- Sticking to a time frame of a minute or less can encourage video sharing amongst viewers for people with shorter attention spans.
- As Meta continues to roll out their version of Reels, implementing optimized (16:9) content in this form is a strong way to use native platform features.
2. No Autotune Challenge
(aka ohne autotune) As an opportunity on TikTok as well, deutschrap fans are showing interest in content that gives them insight into what their favourite (or least favourite) artists sound like without autotune.
Tactics to Implement:
- Top performing videos cut straight to a live performance of the artist with text above the video to easily identify who is rapping.
- Focus on these videos is explicitly on the sound of the artist performing in general, there are not many other distractions or varied shots throughout the video.
- Top performing videos in this category are anywhere from 35-120 seconds and posted as a traditional video with a 1:1 ratio.
Content Opportunities: A mini-series can help highlight invited artists to the forefront to showcase their natural abilities in a live version of this challenge. Start the video with the autotuned version and complete it with the artist live.
3. Acapella Rap Battle
Acapella rap battles focus on highlighting the artists in a way that a juxtaposition from the silence of a large audience against the voices of the artists creates a powerful video.
Tactics to Implement:
- Videos vary on the number of participants ranging from showing only one short clip of two participants to longer clips across multiple battles and up to four participants at a time.
- A video that displayed only one pair for about 110 seconds saw +615% more views than a video over 12 minutes showing multiple pairs in one.
Content Opportunities: With a high saturation of content in the rap scene being supported by instrumentals in the background, offering content that focuses solely on freestyle battle cadence and talent offers a unique perspective on the current rap landscape.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →