Facebook Germany Electronic Music Content Opportunity Analysis™ 2019-2022
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize: Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes: Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark: Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities: Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform: Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
Facebook Content Bucket Definitions
- Festival Set: Classic festival sets of artists performing with different angles either behind the DJ or from the back of the crowd to admire the set production.
- Single Song Festival Set: Similar to a Festival Set videos except the video focuses specifically on one song, generally lasting 45 seconds in length.
- Vinyl Set: A performance format where DJs challenge themselves to complete a mix using only vinyl records.
- Live Mixes: DJ sets and mixes streamed using the Facebook Live video feature, generally over an hour in length with themed electronic music such as "#WeStreamTogether".
- New Forms: A series that brings different artists together to collaborate and complete a track from scratch during their jam session.
- Tech Talk: Sitting down with artists to talk about their tech for music as well as demonstrate any elements in their production routines.
- Interview: Formats that indulge artists to talk about themselves including documentary style videos and series such as "Behind the Beats", "First Things First", & "At Home With...".
- Back2Back: A performance where two DJs are given a space to perform back to back and in collaboration with each other on the same equipment.
- Recap: A mix of festival or day recaps where artists take viewers through moments in time with a series of clips.
- Single Format Performance: A performance format where a single DJ performs in a serialized setting such as HÖR, Sunset Sessions, The Mudd Show, Passion of Goa or Room Lab Mix.
- Community Spotlight: Highlighting musicians in the community to show what production products they use and how they use them.
Festival Set is an extreme performing content opportunity, averaging 3x the average view & engagement benchmark on Facebook.
Excellent performing content for the Germany electronic music audience on Facebook include:
Good performing content for the German electronic music audience on Facebook include:
Substandard performing content for the German electronic music audience on Facebook include:
Low performing content for the German electronic music audience on Facebook include:
1. Festival Set
Classic festival sets of artists performing with different angles either behind the DJ or from the back of the crowd to admire the set production.
Tactics to Implement:
- Set Production: The wow effect of festival set production can help distinguish content and produce unique viewing experiences. Top performing videos in this segment include high quality, still footage from the back of a crowd looking upon the stage.
- Video Length: These videos tend to be just under a minute in length.
Content Opportunities: Top performing videos tend to focus on the build up of tension before the start of a set through ominous beats and spoken word as opposed to a beat with singing. Create a series that challenges beat makers to focus on a 30 second build that prioritizes tension and spectacle within a short amount of time.
2. Single Song Festival Set
Similar to Festival Set videos except the video focuses specifically on one song, generally lasting 45 seconds in length.
Tactics to Implement:
- Audience Reaction: The top two videos demonstrate one DJ playing another artists songs in two different settings. The descriptions feature a lot of detail about the scenario of the video and provide context for the viewer. Viewers have the opportunity to see how two different festivals react to the same song.
- Macro or Micro?: The success of the macro “Festival Set” category over the micro “Single Song” category, suggests that offering bigger scale picture of performance moments is more in tune with audience interests.
Content Opportunities: If sponsoring any upcoming electronic festivals, find a way to pull content from very specific moments within sets that offer opportunities for peak viewership like drops or transitions.
3. Vinyl Set
A performance format where DJs challenge themselves to complete a mix using only vinyl records.
Tactics to Implement:
- Raw Performance: Similar to YouTube, this category features sets where the music mixed only comes from vinyl records. A key difference on Facebook is that these videos tend to be a bit more raw and low fidelity. Top performing videos take place in lower quality and lower lighting settings that are more ambient. This video even features a single friend dancing in the background as the DJ mixes.
Content Opportunities: Introducing organic elements into a vinyl mix helps keep things interesting for viewers and listeners. Experiment with hosting mixes in public as a test to see if strangers will start dancing or to gauge how they will react to a public performance.
4. Live Mixes
DJ sets and mixes streamed using the Facebook Live video feature, generally over an hour in length with themed electronic music such as “Unity Live” or "#WeStreamTogether".
Tactics to Implement:
- Live Streams: Running Facebook Live streams are a great way to engage audiences on another level. This type of content encourages shares and engagement in the comment section.
- Setting Expectations: Live stream mixes never tend to be one-off performances. Publishers tend to make them recurring features to their channel to help audience members tune in and engage in being part of something others are doing at the same time no matter where they are in the world.
Content Opportunities: Formats like Unity Live start their live streams with short countdowns before starting the video. DJs must navigate across robust production setups to perform for an added challenge and level of visual dynamics.
These videos were omitted from their content buckets as ‘viral’ outliers for exceeding 3x the views and engagements of their respective benchmarks.
Length: This Festival Set outlier is 52 seconds in length.
Content This outlier features the introduction of an Afterlife set live, similar to top performing videos in this category.
The main difference is the dynamics created by the lighting in this show. Pre-drop the lighting is very sporadic, flashing up and down the crowd before it transitions into a dark setting with lights scanning across the venue.
Single Format Performance
Length:This Single Format Performance outlier is 14 minutes in length.
Content This video by RoomFM is an outlier in its segment because of the ambiguity in the filming of the video.
It’s difficult to distinguish or view the artist as they are playing the set. This set is shorter than a usual performance live stream and captures viewers with a quick snippet v.s. a 45min+ performance.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-on-Demand →