TikTok MotoGP Content Opportunity Analysis™ Q2 2022
Top content opportunities from Nov. ‘21 to Apr. ‘22 for the MotoGP audience include:
Funny Moments: Track Shenanigans and Laughing Racers — Videos exemplify the fun and playful nature of MotoGP through either racers, staff, or fans doing something that gets the entire crowd laughing.
Race Preparation: Locked and Loaded — Videos showcase racers fully geared up, or already on the track, preparing themselves before the race begins.
Launches: Up, up, and away — Videos focus on short-form moments where a racers line up at their starting point on the track, engage their bike, and launch the bike into the first lap.
Team Crew Highlights: In The Trenches —Popular videos feature various highlights of teams working on different aspects of a racers bike.
Content Opportunity Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Identify a Benchmark. Identify content themes that are performing above and under an average benchmark for the industry based on views & engagements.
- Identify Opportunities. Look at the data and find the content themes that are resonating with the audience based on a set of top creators.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
The top TikTok posts from Nov. ‘21 to Apr. ‘22 from each of the following MotoGP creators were analyzed in this case study:
TikTok Content Bucket Definitions
- Funny Moments: Videos exemplify the fun and playful nature of MotoGP through either racers, staff, or fans.
- Race Preparation: Videos showcase racers fully geared up, or, already on the track preparing themselves before the race begins.
- Launch: Videos focus on short-lived moments where a racers line up and launch their bike into the first lap.
- Team Crew Highlights: Popular videos feature various highlights of teams working on different aspects of a racers bike.
- Bike Reveal: Popular videos feature various snapshots of racers or teams unveiling different bikes.
- Go Kart Highlights: Highlights of MotoGP Racers racing on a track, but in high-end Go Karts.
- Racers Personal Life: Different racers making videos of their life off the track.
- Focus on Racer(s): Videos focus on short-form and in-between moments where a specific racer is the core point of a video.
- Racer Celebration: Different celebrations, where specifically one racer is shown in the video.
- Team Celebration: Relative to just the racer celebrating, these are entire team celebrations where pit staff will join.
- Focus on Bikes: Videos that focus solely on the look of a bike in different situations.
- Kids on Bikes: Wholesome situations where a young child is interacting with bikes in some capacity.
- Fails: Different circumstances where a rider meets and unfortunate but funny fate.
- POV Footage: Highlights from different racers on the track but from a POV camera angle.
- Acts of Kindness: Videos where someone goes out of their way to help a racer when a problem occurs on the track.
- Burnouts: Racers holding the brake and spinning their tires to create smoke and “burnout” their back tire.
Content buckets that had the highest views + engagement rate in the MotoGP space on TikTok include:
Good performing content opportunities for the MotoGP audience on TikTok include:
Substandard performing content opportunities for the MotoGP audience on TikTok include:
Low performing content opportunities for the MotoGP audience on TikTok include:
#1. Motocross Stunts
KTM often shares videos of wild and extreme motocross stunts, however, within each stunt their circumstances varied to such a degree that it skewed content categories with it’s virality.
Some examples are:
- Posing as Captain Morgan, mid jump
- Preparing to drop out of a suspended sea can
- Showing a fan what it feels like to do a loop-de-loop
- Cliff diving off a custom jump, but on a motocross bike
Tactic to Implement: Pushed to the limits — Although MotoGP doesn’t specifically cater to well crafted and designed stunts, it can be seen here that fans enjoy the sense of extreme intensity in varying situations which is an element also seen in MotoGP races.
#1. Funny Candid Moments
Videos exemplify the fun and playful nature of MotoGP through either racers, staff, or fans doing something that gets the entire crowd laughing.
Tactics to Implement:
- Candid Moments: Although the tone of a race is quite serious, a pattern in each of the videos examined was capturing racers with their guard down and seeing them laugh with their team or fellow racers.
- Crazy Situations: It’s entirely unpredictable and still showed itself as a trend, but capturing moments that seem as if they were a joke, like watching racers get caught in peculiar situations, perform very well.
Video Duration: 0:23 & 0:12
#2. Race Preparation
Locked and Loaded. Videos showcase racers fully geared up, or already on the track, preparing themselves before the race begins.Videos showcase racers fully geared up, or already on the track, preparing themselves before the race begins.
Tactics to Implement:
- The Look: Each video has an element of giving the viewer a sense of being behind the scenes. Relative to seeing very curated footage, these are raw cuts of racers preparing.
- Highlighting the Racer: An aspect that reinforces the “behind-the-scenes” feel of this footage is ensuring the racer is the core focal point of each video.
Video Duration: 0:20 & 0:19
Up, up, and away. Videos focus on short-form moments where a racers line up at their starting point on the track, engage their bike, and launch the bike into the first lap.
Tactics to Implement:
- Stop to Start: A key detail consistently seen in every video is that racers will be at a complete stop before “launching” their bike.
- Short form: Videos across this entire content category averaged 15 seconds, and focused only on the racer launching the bike from a stopped position.
- The Roar: Each video also includes the audio of racers revving their engines before launching.
Video Duration: 0:08 & 0:21
#4. Team Crew Highlights
In The Trenches. Popular videos feature various highlights of teams working on different aspects of a racers bike
Tactics to Implement: Grit — These types of videos are taken in situations where teams are either preparing for the race or need to fix something on the fly. The footage is not heavily edited or curated, adding to the effect of what it feels like to be in that team garage.
Video Duration: 0:20 & 0:12
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-on-Demand →