YouTube Gaming Content Opportunity Analysis™ Q1 2022
The Gaming & eSports industry can find content opportunities in Q1 2022 from:
Going Undercover. Well-known gaming personalities on YouTube go “undercover” to compete in various tournaments hosted by other well-known YouTubers.
Busting Fortnite Myths. Gamers seek to bust myths about Fortnite, putting these rumours and theories to the test.
Livestream Fails. Popular YouTube gamers react to funny clips of livestream fails that have gone viral on the internet.
Beat Saber Expert Mode. Gamers showing off their Beat Saber skills in expert mode while wearing a virtual reality headset.
Data Collection Methodology
- Measure & Categorize. Sample a large number of social posts to find ones that are significantly outperforming the average.
- Identify Top Themes. Identify the themes that are resonating most with the audience by sorting the themes by their aggregated performance metrics.
- Measure Saturation. Identify content themes that are already oversaturated with a heavy posting cadence.
- Identify Whitespace. Look at the data and find the content themes that are both resonating with the audience and not oversaturated with a heavy posting cadence.
- Repeat For Each Platform. Repeat the analysis for every platform that matters to your brand and audience to find platform-specific opportunities.
YouTube is a major channel whitespace opportunity for Gaming brands to reach their audience in Q1 2022, according to RightMetric’s Digital Whitespace Map™ Analysis.
To see other channel whitespace opportunities for Q1 2022, see the Gaming & eSports Digital Whitespace Map™ → To see content opportunities on YouTube, continue reading.
YouTube content the audience has been the most interested in Q1 2022 includes:
While the majority of YouTube content in the gaming space has focused on:
The financial services YouTube content whitespace opportunities include:
Content to avoid due to low attention and high competitor saturation in the gaming space include:
1. Going Undercover
Going Undercover in Tournaments. Well-known gaming personalities on YouTube go “undercover” to compete in various tournaments hosted by other well-known YouTubers. The objective is to try to win the competition while keeping their identities undetected.
Tactics to Implement:
- Fortnite Fashion Shows: Every round contestants must dress up their Fortnite character according to the chosen theme. Usually there are specific requirements such as a certain hairstyle or character skin.
- Gamer Collabs: All top performing undercover videos feature commentary from at least two YouTubers. Usually one of the YouTubers is the host of the competition.
2. Busting Fortnite Myths
Real or Fake? Gamers seek to bust myths about Fortnite, putting these rumours and theories to the test.
Tactics to Implement:
- 3-Second Intros: Content creator known as Melt added in a 3-second intro in between the first and second Fortnite myth to quickly introduce the video.
- 100 Myths under 15 Minutes: Top performing myth busting videos jump right into the content (usually with no intro) as these videos jam pack anywhere between 50 - 100 different myths in under 15 minutes.
- Time Stamp: Content creators add in a timestamp to all 100 Fortnite myths for easy navigation for their viewers.
3. Livestream Fails
Reacting to Livestream Fails. Popular YouTube gamers (i.e: SSSniperWolf & PewDiePie) react to funny clips of livestream fails that have gone viral on the internet.
Tactics to Implement:
- Split Screen: Top performing videos use a split screen effect on their videos where half of the video is playing the livestream fail while the other half shows the YouTuber’s reaction and commentary
- Reacting to Non-Gaming Content: While some livestream fails featured in the videos are related to gaming, the majority are funny livestream fails taken from popular platforms such as TikTok and Instagram.
- Sharing Personal Stories: PewDiePie and his friend Ken share their own personal livestream fail stories while reacting to the videos.
4. Beat Saber Expert Mode
Virtual Reality Game Footage. Top performing Beat Saber videos often show a green screen overlay of the gamer to show their real-life movements as they play the video game.
Tactics to Implement:
- Element of Surprise: This top performing video generated 42M views by combining a humorous clip of a kid crying with a gameplay video of a person playing Beat Saber on expert mode. This unexpected combination of videos acted as an element of surprise.
- YouTube Shorts: Top performing Beat Saber videos are YouTube Shorts typically less than 1 minute long
Content Bucket Definitions
- Beat Saber Expert Mode: A gamer showing off their Beat Saber skills in expert mode while wearing a virtual reality headset.
- Livestream Fails: Popular YouTube gamers react to funny clips of livestream fails that have gone viral on the internet.
- Busting Fortnite Myths: Gamers seek to bust myths about Fortnite, putting these rumours and theories to the test.
- Going Undercover: Well-known gaming personalities on YouTube go “undercover” to compete in various tournaments hosted by other well-known YouTubers.
- Modded Among Us: Gamers showing their favourite Among Us mods (downloading a code to alter an aspect of the game), for example they can turn their Among Us characters into Scooby Doo or Play Doh which is not available in the original game.
- Minecraft Challenge: Minecraft gamers create various challenges within the MC world such as building competitions, 10 vs 1000 player manhunts, and talent shows.
- Squidgame on MC & Roblox: Gamers on Minecraft and Roblox recreated the games from the hit Netflix show, Squid Game.
- Horror Gameplay: Gameplay videos of YouTubers reacting to and playing horror games such as Five Nights at Freddy’s and Poppy Playtime.
- Console Game Deals: Videos that summarize the best Black Friday deals for various consoles such as the Nintendo Switch.
- LoL Daily Moments: Short daily video clips of gamers playing League of Legends in various positions.
- News in Gaming: Summary of various announcements in the world of gaming.
- Funny Glitches in Games: Clips of funny glitches and errors that have appeared in various games.
- Game Reviews: Opinions and reviews of various games, often featuring 5 star ratings and Top 10/Top 15 lists.
Make your digital strategy bulletproof.
Get insights like these, customized for your audience and competitors.Learn about Research-AS-A-SERVICE →